VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power steering pump leaking on T4 2.5tdi 2003, have to fill about 1l hydraulic fluid per week (even if the van is not driving).
The leak is somewhere on the opposite side of the belt.
Is it time for a new pump or should I check something else?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked another thread and saw a possible problem as in the post below. Before I was wondering why my pump has a leak from the back, where are no holes supposed to be, thought there is a connection, and was wondering why new pumps have a flat back with no holes, lol. But now it looks like I have the same problem with my pump.
hi:)
got me van back today all fixed and didnt faint with the bill,
saved a few quid thx mate

here,s pick off me old pump , hole punched through the back plate i think

anyone elses gone like this any any reason why it should
, just hope i still get me £25 back when i post it back to acs
thxs again for the tip mate
cheersT:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the pump for a new Meyle (German company but I guess the pump made in China).

The old pump has a hole in the back cover. I think it happened when my belt snapped and completely destroyed a power steering belt pulley. I guess a good mechanic would check it after such a breakdown (especially when you see drops of oil) and saved me another job and few liters of hydraulic fluid. But that's a different story.

Probably will try to restore this original pump and keep it until a new cheap pump will die, or replace it after rebuild.

The thing inside is moving for a few mm, so probably something is broken inside.
Saw already a few pictures with the same problem with a hole in the lid, but looks like it happens not often.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just realized another potential way how this hole in the back lid could happen.
When a guy in the garage was replacing a pump, and it was time to unbolt 3 Allen bolts on the pulley connected with the pump, he hit the bolts few times with a hammer (for the better connection of bolt and the wrench head).
But I just realized how stupid it was, because you literally hitting the main part of the pump, and that is a straight way to brake that hole in the lid!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a slight leak on my steering rack seal. I need to top the power steering fluid up but can't find a definite answer what fluid it should be. My reservoir has a green cap on it which I don't know if it means green fluid should be used.
What did you use on yours? Mines a 2003 T4 2.5tdi 888 special.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a slight leak on my steering rack seal. I need to top the power steering fluid up but can't find a definite answer what fluid it should be. My reservoir has a green cap on it which I don't know if it means green fluid should be used.
What did you use on yours? Mines a 2003 T4 2.5tdi 888 special.
I use green. But it is possible that yours can be different. Take a piece of white paper and dip it into the reservoir.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use green. But it is possible that yours can be different. Take a piece of white paper and dip it into the reservoir.
I'll try that. Don't know why there are so many conflicting reports on what to use. Some say red some green, G00200 ..... I went in Halfords and they had 3 different bottles non of which had that code on. Don't even know which are green or red :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try that. Don't know why there are so many conflicting reports on what to use. Some say red some green, G00200 ..... I went in Halfords and they had 3 different bottles non of which had that code on. Don't even know which are green or red :confused:
If I get it right, G 002 000 is an old OE number, and now it's G 004 000 M2.
I've seen some posts here that someone had red fluid, but I think all T4 have the green fluid. Next question is synthetic or mineral (not allowed to mix it), but I guess all T4 used synthetic by default.

And then there are two types of green synthetic G 004 000 M2 oil - CHF 202 (VW TL 52519-B) or CHF 11 S (VW TL 52146). Not sure what difference there.

I use this Swag G 004 000 M2 (CHF 11 S) green synthetic https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/SWAG/99 90 6161
But I didn't choose it actually, this is what I got in store when asked power steering fluid for T4. But googling is prooving that this is the right type.

Another option is https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/SWAG/30 94 6161
There are datasheets, so it's possible to compare both.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This article says that CHF 202 is a newer version and it can be mixed with CHF 11 S.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/heres-how-to-pick-the-right-power-steering-fluid-for-your-car-
The older generation of VAG cars were filled with simpler fluids. Today with the advancement in technology we have 2 easily compatible fluids. Many models from the early 2000’s and newer are factory filled with CHF202. Most models produced between 1989 and 2005 can use CHF11S. The good news here is that both CHF11s and CHF202 are completely interchangeable and are the same color (Green). Most models produced prior to 1989 have had their systems filled with DEX II transmission fluid. DEX III is perfectly fine to use. Older system can be converted to use CHF11s or CHF202 only by flushing the entire system out. Do not mix ATF and CHF fluids.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
look at the reservoir cap, red cap = red fluid (atf??:* ) green cap = green fluid (mineral whatsitstuff??:* )

green mineral whatsitstuff in my '95T:

Rich.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cheers folks. I got the green whatsitstuff. Seems to be working fine but I need to get the rack leak sorted at some point .

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seemed to me that I was in a situation similar to yours, but it turned out to be the same suitable old gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts