VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello forum,

I've been getting a judder & screech when turning the steering wheel at slow pace. Have been to VW centre and they say probably power steering pump as the judder does not occur when accelerator increased.

Then came the likely cost - £340 for the part 340 odd for the work (4 hours:confused:) plus some other costs I was too in shock to absorb. Total over £725.......... there goes my alloy wheels:(

I am provisionally booked in for Tuesday so if anybody can give me sagely advice before then I would be so very grateful........

On a brighter note. My interior is 90% finished and I have been enjoying trips away, it's very comfy and quite different from the usual style layouts. I am planning to post pics soon so you guys can see and give me your opinions (sensitively lol!). Avatar changed to an interior pic... sorry bout the midriff showing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, all extra info is helpful.

I'll have to wait to find out anyhow! Dropped it off at VW centre this morning. Just rang up and they say "we haven't looked at it yet." They did say they would have it ready by tonight. Is this common?

I'm off back (across town) to pick it up as it's need tomorrow. I'm gonna take this as a sign and look for an independent mechanic.

Anybody know any reputable and competent VW engineers in the midlands?

cheers

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
so what model do you have? on the 1.9s t5s the freewheel on the alternator can sieze and cause this, on the 2.5s the seals on the pump can perish and it allows engine oil to leak into the pas system thus causing noise and problems

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2007 LWB TDI 4motion 174hp will have its Power Steering Pump changed in about two weeks. Bought it used from a dealer and its under 3 months warranty.
Not uncommon fault says VW here in Sweden.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got mine back with a new pump. Judder is still present.:*
They say that the free wheels are fine and judder is normal.
When we tried the same on their loaner Transporter there wasn't any judder so they said that they would escalate it to VW Sweden for investigation.

I still have 2 days of warranty left...

·
Banned
212 Posts
ihi there if its the 1.9td sounds like the power steering pump cheapest place is euro car parts £120 exchange with the old pump and the green fluid should takw around 2-2.5 hours to fit hope that helps
pete

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just got mine back with a new pump. Judder is still present.:*
They say that the free wheels are fine and judder is normal.
When we tried the same on their loaner Transporter there wasn't any judder so they said that they would escalate it to VW Sweden for investigation.

I still have 2 days of warranty left...
This was reported before the warranty being up so even if it goes over the expiry date it should matter. Just don't take any ! T:

My steering sort of vibrates when turning through the whole range, and you can hear it..."labouring" if that makes sense? Does that sound the same as yours? I have 1.5 months left on my warranty thanks goodness!

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 1.9 makes a rough sound at idle which started the same time as the power streering started the judder you describe. I have run the engine without the pas/alternator belt on and the noise stopped so i'm pretty sure it's the pas pump but if you turn it by hand with no belt it feels ok. Anyone else had this and wheres the best place to get a pump?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an update on this, fitted a new belt and tensioner as these were the cheapest parts to start off with, this helped a lot and stopped the judder but i could still hear a rough sort of sound in the background when the engine was running. I decided to change the alternator pulley next as it was suggested on here and it has solved the problem completely, steering feels much lighter and no slipping belts or juddering. The genuine pulley was just over £50 inc vat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my T5 1.9 is making a juddering noise and it has gradually got worse. I had the belt changed at service but the noise has continued. It is booked in for Tuesday but i am going to ask about the alterntor pully to be checked as that seems a common problem on the 1.9. Would fitting 20" alloys have caused this? Would there be extra strain on the pas motor?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi my T5 1.9 is making a juddering noise and it has gradually got worse. I had the belt changed at service but the noise has continued. It is booked in for Tuesday but i am going to ask about the alterntor pully to be checked as that seems a common problem on the 1.9. Would fitting 20" alloys have caused this? Would there be extra strain on the pas motor?
Did you get this fixed? Was it the alternator pulley?

Mines been doing this for a bit and im finally looking to get it sorted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 04 T5 and had same issue, changed tensioner and still same so got a pump from vw and a mate fitted it and still same!!! Turned out different tensioners and tried another for £26 and all sorted now!! Wasted £400 on a pump!! Hope this helps?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cheers

So are you saying then that after all it was the tensioner that was the problem, you just put the wrong one on initially? Is the tensioner the one on the alternator? Do you have aircon?

Does anyone have a part number for a 06 1.9 Tdi for the tensioner?

I have an 04 T5 and had same issue, changed tensioner and still same so got a pump from vw and a mate fitted it and still same!!! Turned out different tensioners and tried another for £26 and all sorted now!! Wasted £400 on a pump!! Hope this helps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes tensioner was problem but at motorfactors they struggled to find correct part for my vehicle so Im guessing the first tensioner was wrong. When you look at tensioner with engine running the wrong one was moving alot and the new one is solid when running. Im not a mechanic so leave this sort of stuff to them....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im gonna book in to get this done I think as its irritating me..

I noticed today that as its wet and been raining its considerably better and much less squeeky

Does anyone have a opinion whether this would suggest alternator tensioner more so? Presumably wet belt / tensioner would squeek less?

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have these isues but i think when its wet you have les work for the p steering as much less road friction to deal with, same afectas if you give it some gas. more power through the system and the sound stops. cant wait to get mine fixed, it wakes people up when i leave for work, also i cant turn me stereo up any louder now to cancel it out. hehe

·
Registered
329 Posts
FIXED!!!

Turns out that when it was investigated, the cowboys at BT Fleet changed the alternator at some point and didnt bother putting the freewheeling tensioner on at all! which mine is sposed to have.

1 freewheeling tensioner installed and one judder and sqeek free power steering system!

YAY!

A:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts