VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 T4 1.9tdi professional conversion with an engine from a MK3 Golf Tdi. I am not sure if they would have kept the original power steering set up from the original van (1.9td)? Anyway the last few weeks there has been a noticeable noise from the PAS when the van is running. If I pull on the steering wheel (turning it slightly) whilst the engine is running but the van is stationary the noise dissappears. I had all the fluid renewed a couple of years back and the belt tightened. Is this likely to be the steering rack or the PAS pump? There are no leaks. Also recently on first start up the PAS belt is squealing a little bit (20 seconds or so). Is it straightforward to adjust or replace the belt? Total van mileage is unknown but must be around 200k and around 30k on the tdi engine.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
where is the pas pump? if below the alternator then its the mk3 golf setup (BODGE) but if it's between the driveshaft & crankshaft then it's as vw designed & built the 1.9 t4's (y)

firstly, have you checked the fluid level?
if so, what colour is the fluid? is it clean (green cap = green fluid & red cap = red / atf fluid) - if the fluid is dirty / black then I'd suggest draining & flushing the system, an easy diy job;)
then, if its running with the golf pump setup I'd suggest inspecting the pipework near the pump as it's vunerable to damage due to being the lowest part of the van (see BODGE above)

Rich.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the pas pump? if below the alternator then its the mk3 golf setup (BODGE) but if it's between the driveshaft & crankshaft then it's as vw designed & built the 1.9 t4's (y)

firstly, have you checked the fluid level?
if so, what colour is the fluid? is it clean (green cap = green fluid & red cap = red / atf fluid) - if the fluid is dirty / black then I'd suggest draining & flushing the system, an easy diy job;)
then, if its running with the golf pump setup I'd suggest inspecting the pipework near the pump as it's vunerable to damage due to being the lowest part of the van (see BODGE above)

Rich.
Hi Rich. I had all the fluid replaced only a couple of years back and the van has only done about 8000 miles in a coupe of years. It is green fluid and it is nice and clean. Will I have to remove the undertray to check for pump set up?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts