VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Cant find this covered anywhere here.
I have a T4 1994 T4, I got the cam belt changed recently and the power steering packed up on the way to a festival.
When i got home, with the help of a friend we tightened the tensioner for the power steering belt as it was really loose, also noticed excessive wear on one side of the belt.
We fitted a new one and the pulley/ tensioner as you look from the top of the engine was so close to the cam belt cover that it put pressure on the cam belt making it squeal and smoke! ouch.

Took the pulley off and it looked like there used to be a washer/ spacer on it to bring it away from the cam belt cover. There was a clean bit where it looked like a washer or something used to be.
Is this normal?.

We found a few washers to see if packing it out would help and with 5 washers it seems that the pulley is clear of the cam belt cover and the belt is now nearly straight as before it was at an angle. I dont want to drive it anywhere in case the cam belt gets damaged,and i dont want to accuse the guy who fitted the cam belt of losing a bit that may not have been there in the first place.

So after all that what i want to know is, is there a spacer to bring the tensioner pulley away from the cambelt cover, or am i wrong and being a complete numpty.
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well All sorted now.
If you are interested, there was a spacer missing. The guy that did the cam belt begrudgingly admitted that there was a part missing, but denied all responsibility and even ried to blame me for losing it.
New spacer fitted now at a cost of £17.
My main worry now is that i dont believe he changed the water pump when he did the cam belt. Cant afford to get the whole lot done again, so i'll just have to drive her and hope for the best.
Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts