VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1993 2L petrol t4 caravelle camper. I would like to add power steering as this one drives like an old 1950's bus, with a steering wheel of a similar size. Can anyone suggest whether this can be done, and if so, where would a good place to get the rack - pump etc.
Many thanksA:

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
The rack and pump, bottle and pipes can be sourced of any T4.

You'll need in addition to fit your petrol engine a powersteering pump bracket that fits to the base of the block. You will also need a special shaped pully to bring the belt out properly. both unique to the petrol 2 litre so its a dealer part, or a scrapped power steered petrol 2 litre which are not easily found....I seem to recall the pully was £44 ish, the bracket £80 but came form Germany, slowly

Racks can be bought used, Fox Covert in Worksop had them on shelving, about the £100 mark.

The mount for the bottle is already in place by your radiator.

Fitting the rack is a bit of a job, but all the holes are there. Getting at the rack is the hard bit, remove the old rack through the driver side wheel area, and put the new one in the pass side.

The anti roll bar gets in the way, its like a chinese puzzle at Christmas.

Once fitted its SO SO nice. As you know its really heavy at low speed. Power steering meant I could park on my drive from both directions, and park properly!

Good luck. Bit of a job but worth it,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for brilliant reply. Exactly what I wanted to hear.
I knew job would be fun, so prepared for that. Thanks for your time

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
have all the bits from a 1.9td if that helps will be removing it all including the cooler pipes
reseviorer etc from a 1996 swbT:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts