VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title. I have read it is a pain to do but I was hoping someone can recommend a company around Scun-thorpe that would Powercoat a Cali bike rack. Also if you know how much it would cost. Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just doing exactly the same, and I can confirm it's a real PITA.

Disassembly is a long process , it starts off easy enough with the bike trays and clamps but when you need to remove the tube Inserts you need a blow torch and some improvised tooling.
Removing the rivets are also a pain as they spin and burn into the plastic .

Having done all that you then have to degrease it all with paint thinners.

There's around 20 separate components to be powder coated (the largest being 3 frame sections ) so you need a place that can bake the largest component .

If you Google local powder coating then you should have someone local, we have a couple local to us and I'm fortunate to have a mate who works at one so he's going to do it for mates rates but he estimated to do it normally would be around £100 - £120

·
Special Rapporteur
9,088 Posts
Ah ok - we're talking about powder coating? I thought it was a reference to some fancy new process.

Down here, 20 pieces would be more like £200 unless you know someone - the places on the industrial estates really only seem to want to deal with the trade, so small volume stuff is charged at very high rates.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ah ok - we're talking about powder coating? I thought it was a reference to some fancy new process.

Down here, 20 pieces would be more like £200 unless you know someone - the places on the industrial estates really only seem to want to deal with the trade, so small volume stuff is charged at very high rates.
Yes that's probably right, I had been warned that for small batches the quality control might be an issue too, not something you want to hear when talking about a £500 cali bike rack!
Make sure that you count the parts you get back too as replacements are non existent.
It's a gamble for sure

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did the same process with satin black aluminium paint, which looked great at first, but chips easily - needs touching-up now & then.
The benefit of this method is that only a partial strip down is required; I masked the tube inserts (and original VW sticker!). But it still takes a few hours to disassemble to this level

I'm thinking of trying it again with spray hammerite (when I have a spare day!), as that always worked wonders on aluminium bike parts.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,088 Posts
I'm thinking of trying it again with spray hammerite (when I have a spare day!), as that always worked wonders on aluminium bike parts.
That's what I've been doing recently when the quotes for powder coating have come out too expensive (my local place wanted more to do a towbar than it would have cost to buy a new already coated towbar!).

But you have to be very patient now that they have changed the Hammerite formula so that coverage is weaker - and you either need warm conditions or a good heat source or it's quite difficult to get it to dry quick enough for an even coat. Typically I seem to need four coats as a minimum on metal...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I did the same process with satin black aluminium paint, which looked great at first, but chips easily - needs touching-up now & then.
The benefit of this method is that only a partial strip down is required; I masked the tube inserts (and original VW sticker!). But it still takes a few hours to disassemble to this level

I thought of doing this but was advised that the anodising would need to be sanded and coated in etch primer to stand a chance of adhesion, thin I thought of using helicopter tape to protect the vulnerable parts where scratches would occur.
Second thought was re anodising in colour but this would show any blemishes and would be hard to touch up if required.

We bought our second hand rack from Bognor motors (thanks Oli) and as an ex rental it had a repair and a fair few scratches (hence coating) but we bought it with the intention of doing this anyway so didn't want a £500 gamble with a new one.

It's in its component parts at the moment, took around 4 hrs to completely disassemble and had to damage a couple of fixings to be able to separate the plastics (hinge pins and rivets).

Need to source a couple of stainless allthread rods too to replace the corroded clamp rods.

Powder coating route is the way to go if you want to take the risk, painting would give the same effect but without the hard finish.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i've been thinking of doing this. So once you've taken it apart with a blow torch etc, i presume you need some new parts to put it back together again?
Not really, you need the heat to remove the bike clamp plastic tube ends, (they come out intact so can be re-used if not scorched), coupled with clamping a made up pull rod in the vice and a kitchen glove so you don't burn yourself in the process I:

The van mountings all need drilling, the top mounts have 4 rivets each side with the outer 2 holding the plastic and inner 2 holding the metal hangers, when drilling the rivets holding the plastic parts they will spin and burn through the plastic if your not careful.

The hardest part is removing the lower plastic mountings, they are hinged with stainless pivot hinges that are flattened to prevent push through, you need to cut the heads off or drill them but again the generated heat will melt the plastic if not careful.

It's not impossible to do but you will have to replace the hinge pins with a bolts and the rivets with oversized rivets when reassembling.

Will take some photo's when I get it back and before I re-assemble. T:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know anyone locally or in the trade and it seems a lot of work that could cost a lot more if I get it wrong. So I guess I will leave it as is for the moment. Thanks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not really, you need the heat to remove the bike clamp plastic tube ends, (they come out intact so can be re-used if not scorched), coupled with clamping a made up pull rod in the vice and a kitchen glove so you don't burn yourself in the process I:

The van mountings all need drilling, the top mounts have 4 rivets each side with the outer 2 holding the plastic and inner 2 holding the metal hangers, when drilling the rivets holding the plastic parts they will spin and burn through the plastic if your not careful.

The hardest part is removing the lower plastic mountings, they are hinged with stainless pivot hinges that are flattened to prevent push through, you need to cut the heads off or drill them but again the generated heat will melt the plastic if not careful.

It's not impossible to do but you will have to replace the hinge pins with a bolts and the rivets with oversized rivets when reassembling.

Will take some photo's when I get it back and before I re-assemble. T:
Thanks, some photos of the rebuild would be great. T:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just about to start tackling this project myself....

Can anyone tell me how to take the rectangular covers off the hinge area please?

Thanks
I have a bend in the bottom horizontal pole and wish to know how to remove that section.

so, same question...

How to take the rectangular covers off the hinge area please?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts