VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tinny rattle from under the van suddenly got worse this morning on pulling into the works carpark, the silencer has done a 45degree spin on the pipe and is sporting a jaunty angle :*

Looking at the rest of the system, the cat section looks on its way to tin worm heaven too so its time for a full stainless system, with de-cat :ILU:

So far ive had a price of £299 from cat-back single exit or £399 for dual (nyom nyom) + £120 for the decat section from Longlife and im waiting for the local powerflow dealer to get back to me.

Whats the general concensus on either or are they much the same?

Ta :ILU:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ive got longlife on my mk5 golf tdi 170 full stainleess steal and they have done an awsome job really happy with them

hope this helps T:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A slight twist on the Powerflow...........
My local dealer WON'T fit a decat pipe, their explanation was that it was a requirement for the MOT to have a CAT/particle filter.

Over on VZI i got a similar answer from someone who "used to help out" at a test centre.

Judging by the fact that Longlife WILL fit one and the amount of peeps on here that have them, there is no problem??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I believe a cat is only a requirement on petrol engines. Please correct me if I am wrong I:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The early 2.4 diesel vans never had a cat fitted.
This is the reason why they are available.
Not 100% on the facts but this is what I have been told in the past.
:ILU:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the MOT testers guide online there is nothing said about it having a cat, just the smoke test. Although i did read somewhere about anything pre 2001 not needing a particle filter, mines 2002 so would..if this is correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts