VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been asking around and cannot get a straight answer.
I have a small computer and wish to power it in my Van.
Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? Is there large battery's for such an occasion?
Thanks for any help.

·
This isn't Facebook you know
7,009 Posts
Hello,
I have been asking around and cannot get a straight answer.
I have a small computer and wish to power it in my Van.
Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? Is there large battery's for such an occasion?
Thanks for any help.
In my lorry i have an inverter and it powers my laptop easy but thats 24v but must be able to do the same with 12v but as always buy a good inverter the cheap ones are rubbish T:

·
Registered
867 Posts
yes. a 12v inverter does the job and the one i used was only 15w. be aware that this will drain the battery/ies during longer use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. a 12v inverter does the job and the one i used was only 15w. be aware that this will drain the battery/ies during longer use.
I’m a bit confused to how the electronics work.
Does it not have to be 240V which will allow the laptop transformer to step it down to how much voltage the laptop needs? Or do you have an special transformer?
Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
ive got a lead from ebay,plugs into 12v cig socket and can give variable power outputs,mines set at 19v for laptop,as youll find the 240v power lead has a dropper/converter for laptop.itll say on yr laptop underneath whatpower input is.
also comes with various socket adaptors for appliance.only about £20?
heres one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80W-DC-12...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item41580033f0
*<:)>
nice products but it
just a lead with an inverter built in but if you lose the ends your screwed also with the plug type you can power small things without a jack connection like a mains mobile charger or playstation etc but it is a good alternative and cheap too

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
you say "a small laptop" do you mean netbook ?
most if not all netbooks are 12vdc so no real drama *<:)>

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
If its a laptop or netbook, there are adaptors available that run off the ciggy lighter and provide the corrent DC voltage, which is often 19v, but can be anything from 12v to 24v DC. If it's a proper PC, you'll need an inverter.

Just read the other post re the eBay ciggy lighter adaptor. Sorry for the repeat!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get yourself something like this and you've no need for an inverter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kensingto...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item20b921d57b

With this and a T Mobile wireless pointer I can surf for hours anywhere (up welsh mountains and on remote scottish islands) without worrying about flattening 125 ah leisure battery or not having a broadband connection.

It's a vast improvement on what was possible only a couple of years ago...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Get yourself something like this and you've no need for an inverter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kensingto...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item20b921d57b

With this and a T Mobile wireless pointer I can surf for hours anywhere (up welsh mountains and on remote scottish islands) without worrying about flattening 125 ah leisure battery or not having a broadband connection.

It's a vast improvement on what was possible only a couple of years ago...
I fail to see why an inverter would not be needed with the above? Its just a universal replacement power pack?

Not quite a pc but my ipad lasts ten hours before i charge it, then when i do its 2.1amps from a 12v supply and doesnt take long (minutes) to reach full charge again,,

·
Registered
124 Posts
I fail to see why an inverter would not be needed with the above? Its just a universal replacement power pack?

Not quite a pc but my ipad lasts ten hours before i charge it, then when i do its 2.1amps from a 12v supply and doesnt take long (minutes) to reach full charge again,,
Fair point; perhaps it's time to lay off the rum!

This should have been the link!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120720981224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Apologies....and thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts