VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of identifying what my brake components are, and this has revealed a few mysteries regarding my PR Codes:

(a) I have the PR Code '1AB' and see that it is described as 'Power Brake':

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

I cannot find on the internet any alternative description or explanation, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what it means please?

Are they referring to the brake Servo unit?

(b) Code '1LP' refers to 'disc brake Front' - and I gather that this also covers the master cylinder, but I don't seem to have any PR Codes covering the rear disc brakes? I assume others may have come across this and can help shed some light?

I have solid discs with 15" wheels - non ABS

My list of PR Codes does not include '2E2' or '2E3' which are the only PR Codes mentioned on VW Heritage's site for rear calipers, (Lucas) - the different PR codes referring to different sized discs but the caliper is the same in both cases (but changed in 1997). Brickwerks' site says something similar. Are there others not listed?

The Haynes states that the rear has 'single piston sliding pin brake calipers' and little else to help identify them.

I'm left wondering why I haven't got any PR Codes for my rear calipers - I'm beginning to think that this may be because there is only the one caliper shown on the Parts list?

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/parts_lst/markt/RDW/modell/TR/year/1998/drive_standart/220/hg/6/catalog/vw/lang/e

But if so, why does my list not include 2E2 or 2E3? And is it just my van? All very odd!

cheers
Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bit of a late reply, hope it's of use!

I also have a 97 2.4d 1200. I also have 1LP front brakes (Lucas C54 calipers, 282mm solid disc).

There's no code for the rears on mine either, but even being a 1200 it has the smaller 2E2 rear brakes, 280mm solid disc. These are also Lucas. The 293mm rears only came with T4s with 16" wheels.
The rear brake type is determined by the front brake code, 1LP is 15" wheels so therefore 15" 2e2 rears.

According to some jibber I read somewhere I have a 23.81mm master cylinder though I haven't confirmed that yet.

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bit of a late reply, hope it's of use!

I also have a 97 2.4d 1200. I also have 1LP front brakes (Lucas C54 calipers, 282mm solid disc).

There's no code for the rears on mine either, but even being a 1200 it has the smaller 2E2 rear brakes, 280mm solid disc. These are also Lucas. The 293mm rears only came with T4s with 16" wheels.
The rear brake type is determined by the front brake code, 1LP is 15" wheels so therefore 15" 2e2 rears.

According to some jibber I read somewhere I have a 23.81mm master cylinder though I haven't confirmed that yet.

Thanks for that - really useful to know!

And yes- mine is a 1200 also. Standard suspension and 15" wheels. Relatively low spec' with just power steering and (faulty) central locking - I don't need or want any additional complexity! It's always a joy to drive, and a definite 'Keeper'.

It sounds that our vans have a lot in common, and suggest that we would mutually benefit by staying in touch and exchanging relevant parts information. My van was first registered late December 1998, though the chassis number shows a 1999 date.

I'm mindful that our vans are both over twenty years old, and I'm aware that the seals on my master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder (external), brake calipers, and rubber brake lines are all due/overdue for replacement. Either by rebuilding them myself or replacing the entire unit with an OEM part. The servo wont last for ever either.

If I obtain any proven details of any of these items that are known to work (rather than taken from Parts Lists) such as Part Nos and OEM suppliers I'm happy to share them with you. Alas at the moment I have none, but are on my 'to do' list.

I'll PM you.

Jim24
1998/9 T4 2.4D

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my other Haynes manuals contain known errors - my T4 version says that on the front fitted to 15" wheels are 'Lucas RC54 floating frame calipers' , rather than the 'Lucas C54 floating caliper' which went onto the 14" wheels?

Do you have any Part Numbers?

My recent internet research leads me to suspect that my Master Cylinder is VW 7M16110109 and my Servo is VW 701612101K - but I cannot yet prove it. See Autodoc:

Thanks
Jim24
1998/9 T4 2.4D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice, that'll come in handy to compare part numbers since I don't know anyone else who actually owns a T4! Central locking? Super fancy! I love the 2.4 as well, take the stop solenoid plunger out and you can run the engine without a battery or alternator. Tom Cruise would have been on his way much quicker with one of these in War of the Worlds.

Mine was registered in October 1997 though the VIN says 1998, odd that.

I haven't done my master cylinder - yet! Though my servo has been leaking since I owned it and has steadily been getting worse. According to t4-wiki.de there are two types of booster, a single diaphragm one for earlier models up to about 1996 I think and a twin diaphragm for all later models. Also they are different for LHD vs RHD.

Have a good read through t4-wiki.de. You'll have to translate it being as it's German but it's got a shedload of good info on it. Bear in mind the German T4 market was different to ours and in 1998ish they switched to long nose exclusively and the diesels became TDI only.

Also www.oemepc.com gives you 99% of all the part numbers you'll ever need. It's bedtime reading for me as I love this sort of thing and it's like window shopping for parts!

As for brake part numbers I've got a few bits here (1LP fronts and 2E2 rears):

NSF brake shield 701407343
OSF brake shield 701407344
NSF front caliper carrier 701615125D
OSF front caliper carrier 701615126B
NSF caliper 701615123DX
OSF caliper 701615124DX
front caliper carrier bolt m16x1.5x48 n90685401
front brake shield bolt x6 m6x10 N 012107
rear brake shield x2 7d1615611
Rear caliper carrier both sides 7D0615425B
NSR caliper 7D0615423B
OSR caliper 7D0615424B
rear caliper carrier screws M14x1.5x38 N 90571501
Front flexi hose 7D0 611 701 E

Brake bleed nipples are m10x1x28 with 11mm socket.

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that - very handy.

VW Heritage shows your Front Caliper as suitable for 1993 - 1998, and as mine is a 1998/1999 model I suspect that I may have a different part number. www.oemepc.com 1999 confirms the Part No change.

I'm planning on rebuilding them myself, including new pistons, from

www.biggred.co.uk

By the way I tracked down what PR Code 1AB means - the 'Power Brake' is in fact the Servo.

I don't know anyone else with a T4 2.4D either!

What do you do for wiring diagrams - the Haynes contains very little?

More in due course - meanwhile the sliding door seal is weeping a bit, and genuine ones are loads of money........

Jim24
1999 2.4D

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
If you rear disc is 15" and 280 mm, you need the 2E2. 2E3 is for the larger disc.

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are, so thanks Indian for the 2E2 confirmation.

I'm led to believe that the pistons on the rear calipers require a special tool to insert them - that they 'screw' into the caliper body?

On the other hand the 1LP front caliper pistons simply push in?

Rebuilding them myself would save lots of money.

My mechanic friend is trying to discourage me from rebuilding the calipers - that in particular with the rear ones it will be difficult to avoid damaging the new seals when inserting the piston, even with the special tool. Does anyone have any experience of this?

There are some seriously cheap new calipers (not reconditioned ones) frequently advertised on eBay, but their origins are opaque, and almost certainly not OEM. I'm therefore wary of them - again does anyone have any experience of these, good or bad?

Jim24
T4 1999 2.4D

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
That is pure bullshit. If you dont have the tool you can use the key used to fit grinding discs to the angle grinder. Loosen the piston a half turn and screw in all the way.
After fitting, pull the handbrake a few times to adjust.
No need to get new calipers.
You can also make this tool with a flat metal bar and 2 screws.
The tool kit will not cost you more than 30 pounds if you want to buy one.
If you buy new calipers from ebay, the Polish Maxgear are not too bad.
This is the tool kit you need. Amazon has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've rebuilt rear calipers before, twice. Bit of a nightmare both times since I needed to do the handbrake lever seals too. This required removal of the handbrake mechanism inside which needs a pair of very long nose circlip pliers to remove, being super careful so as not to scratch the piston bore. the new rear seal needs to be tapped in precisely as you can damage the soft lips (which I did!)

Getting the piston back in I found needed a particular method. the rubber boot needs to go on the back of the piston first, then the rear of the boot needs to be installed in the caliper. Holding everything carefully you then screw the piston in, allowing the front of the boot to travel up the piston until you can get it into its groove. Not a good explanation sorry, pics would explain it much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts