VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after trawling the forums I could do with some pre-purchase advice from anyone who is or has been in a similar position. We are looking for our first T4 to ‘modify’ primarily to use for days out, weekend camping trips etc.

I like the look of the long nose version with the 102 bhp motor, swb and a tailgate so consider these pre-requisites. Leccy windows, mirrors and central locking would also be a bonus. A 2000MY or newer is preferred as we plan to keep it for a long time. We also have 2 kids under 10 that I need to know are going to be safely strapped in the back.

So what to go for? A rare as rocking horse poo panel van with the spec above and a rib bed or similar with 3 point belts or start with a caravelle / multivan?? The higher purchase price of the latter is a concern plus the lack of a ‘blank canvas’ internally although neither are insurmountable. Another, maybe softer issue is I don’t really like the look of the caravelle / multivan from the side – too much glass. I much prefer the look of a panel with just a tinted window in the SLD..... Anyone, got any thoughts and apologies if this has been asked a million times before...???

Cheers
Jim :)

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
LOL: Hello Jimmy, The reason I'm LOL: is I'm in almost the EXACT same position (but I want barn doors, glazed), There are vans out there, but getting to them before the traders get there is proving problematic, I have revised my list to include 88bhp, purely because of the 'new Project Power' ground original injectors (see 'Rake' on here) and there seems to be more 88's available.
One thing I have found is that one persons 'very clean and tidy' example (ie the trader) is not everybody's 'very clean and tidy (ie mine! or the fella I've got looking's!!) Lots of builders hacks with bodywork in shocking condition but reasonable mechanicals.
And what is going on with the prices people want, add some wheels and try to charge an extra £2.5k, The seating issue is a hot one on here, you can do a search and I think it's a sticky on one of the sections, I have seen a 'Cannon's forge' bed and they look Very well manufactured, there is an issue with testing approval, you have to decide for yourself, Also the RIB bed seat looks excellent but it IS expensive.
I have what I consider to be a quite large budget, but it appears it might still not be enough to achieve what I want, but to buy it ready done costs an arm and a leg!
Good hunting and let us all know how you get on
Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Chris, glad I'm not alone..... Just need to get my head around the panel v's caravelle decision and then I can start hunting in earnest. I quite like the idea that we could use the 'velle straight out of the box but still not sure on the aesthetics!! Agree with your comments that prices seem to be all over the place though. Maybe it's the wrong time of year.

I'm in no desperate hurry to secure a vehicle so can start looking in earnest when I've got my head around a few things..... Any other comments / views welcomed :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've just had exactly the same conundrum. Just my opinion, but it you don't need the caravelle seats and would prefer a van without all the windows, then why pay extra for a caravelle?

I ended up buying a panel van (with EW, CL, cruise control but not aircon) - like you say the attraction of a blank canvas (I like the look without all the windows too) but the downside of not having something immediately practical. However, with a blank canvas you can tailor a conversion exactly to how you want to use the van.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
No wonder there's no bl**dy vans out there like that - it's because we all want one exactly like that (me included)

I'm not bothered, T4 or T5, but think a T5 is going to be out of my price range (unless it has a million miles on itLOL:)

Don't bother with the commercial car auctions at places like BCA - the traders have got those all sewn up - ridiculous prices for vans that are shiney on the outside but sh*tty on the inside!

If anyone does find a good source for them, POST IT! so we can all go there...T:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
EBay and Autotrader.....keep looking (at least daily) and be quick - a good van will go very quickly on Autotrader or if you are lucky enough for the auction to run right to the end on EBay, will cost good dollars.

Everyone does want the same thing and you will have to compromise on something unless you are very lucky.

Strike fast and go to view armed with cash to buy....is my advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses guys but I think I've decided that a caravelle is the best option for us. Although more expensive at least we can start using it straight away and (I think) we stand a better chance of getting something half decent internally, bodywork etc....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts