VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my van off at the VW Van centre today,
they kindly gave me use of a T5 as a courtesy vehicle for the day.

However I was not fussed on it at all! :eek:, it seemed more plasticy than the T4, drove a bit too light and just didn't feel as nice as I thought it would.
Got back in my T4 and was expecting to be disappointed after driving a brand new vehicle. But not at all, she drives lovely and the 5 pot TDi just sings!.

This settles my mind though as I was 50/50 about keeping mine and spending lots of money doing a conversion or selling up and going for the T5!.

Well she's here to stay and i'll be treating her to a few bits! Can't wait to get stuck in!.

Got home and my angled gear extension had arrived, just need to do the short shift mod now T: as one thing I really did like in the T5 was the gear change.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
It's your opinion fella, shouldn't upset anyone ;)

I'm the same though, test drove T4 and T5 Velle and prefered the Four T:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's your opinion fella, shouldn't upset anyone ;)

I'm the same though, test drove T4 and T5 Velle and prefered the Four T:
Im so glad I did, as I hadn't really driven one before, just loved how they looked.
So was always 50/50 about my T4, but now I love my T4.

Not that there was anything wrong with the T5, it just wasn't what I had imagined :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Me too! I think the 4 is more 'car like' than the 5. only thing i liked about the 5 was the gear ratios were better, and it had elec mirrors and windows, the electrical things I think can be added as extra. shame about the gear ratio's

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too! I think the 4 is more 'car like' than the 5. only thing i liked about the 5 was the gear ratios were better, and it had elec mirrors and windows, the electrical things I think can be added as extra. shame about the gear ratio's
Maybe I was spoilt as my van had more leccy goodies than the T5!, it didn't have cruise or heated mirrors.
But yes the gear change/ratio's were lovely, the odd thing about the T5 is when I went to drive off it felt like it had LOADS of power, but it didn't it just felt quite boosty low down for a sec or two, where as my T4 pulls hard to the red line and sings about 2500k upwards, reminds me of my old Audi Quattro.

And what is it with the fuel cap on the T5, you have to open the passenger door to open and close the cap?. That confused the life out of me and seemed a cheap way of locking it, must annoy the passenger on a cold day!.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Maybe I was spoilt as my van had more leccy goodies than the T5!, it didn't have cruise or heated mirrors.
But yes the gear change/ratio's were lovely, the odd thing about the T5 is when I went to drive off it felt like it had LOADS of power, but it didn't it just felt quite boosty low down for a sec or two, where as my T4 pulls hard to the red line and sings about 2500k upwards, reminds me of my old Audi Quattro.

And what is it with the fuel cap on the T5, you have to open the passenger door to open and close the cap?. That confused the life out of me and seemed a cheap way of locking it, must annoy the passenger on a cold day!.
Looking at the cover its only a thin bit of plastic anyway! anyone in the know after your fuel could break that with ease. oh and the dash mounted gear stick was nice too. however I did feel the gears were close together and even though I didnt, I always thought one time id get 1st instead of 3rd but maybe thats just me.
Saying that I do like the T5 it drove well and felt solid and I could happily drive one daily, however the T4 is good as I dont have many leccy bits or even an ECU with it been an 800 special, Therefore its very easy to work on myself, even though im not that mechanically minded its much better than the complicated and seemingly tricky 5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts