VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my automatic transmission and would like to know the preferred method by those that have done it.

1. Trans only
2.Trans and engine

To acquire the transmission that I'm installing, I helped a friend pull the engine and transmission from the donor. Next pulled bumper, grille pieces, and hood. Then condenser and radiator, then friend cut all wires and hoses . We had the engine/trans out in 4 hours.

BUT, I can not be so reckless with my swap. I prefer not to disconnect AC, the exhaust bolts are a pain, and there are alot of engine connections to deal with. Common sense says it would take less time to do only the transmission, but does it really?

On the other hand, there is not much room to do the "trans only" method and transmissions always seem take 2-3x as long to get back in.

I was surprised how easy and fast it was to get all the front body pieces off. Sure makes access 10x as easy.

So - any suggestions?

ps- VR6 engine.01P trans.

Thx! Jim

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Having changed the auto box for a manual and doing it with the engine inlplace, I would definitely recommend removing the engine as well. It's not much more to remove the whole lot anyway and once it's out, it's so much easier to fit the gearbox and line everything up.T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
You will have to disconnect the exhaust anyway as you need to move the engine forward and down, in order to get the box on. I suppose it depends if you have access to a four post lift, if so may be viable to do with engine in situ. VW use a special jig to clamp the engine and move it forward and down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info- you are confirming what I was thinking. And I'm glad you added the fact about the exhaust needing to be disconnected either way. I have a 4 post lift but not enough room in my garage, so I'll be working primarily from the floor. So you sealed it for me. At least I won't wrestling with a "maybe if I".

Strange thing I encountered is that I spoke to a VW enthusiast that had converted his T4 to TDI/manual and was selling the auto box. His trans wasn't the right version for me, but we spoke and he said that it would take 30 hours to swap transmissions. Still scratching my head over his time estimate. I think he was talking about taking it out the bottom.

Pulling the donor engine and trans 'together' was easier than I had imagined. The CV bolts are real fun. Worked best with 2 people. How did you not shear off the exhaust nuts? Kroil the night before?

Which manual did you swap in? That is the perfect solution, but here in the US the 02G wasn't imported. I'm looking into other possibilities. I also entertained the idea of a TDI swap, but not sure if payback isn't there since diesel fuel is more expensive than Premium in US and only option is a 1.9 TDI from sedans.

Anyway- thanks again for the response.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts