VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of many, many posts 
We have recently bought a VW T5 (yipppppeeee and hooray!) We are planning on taking our van to the South of France for 2 ½ weeks in May / June time and I would love to know what the essentials non essentials are when you are planning and holidaying for that period of time.
-Gas stove Vs BBQ – Which one do you recommend? Most of the BBQ’s are quite bulky so we don’t want to give up so much valuable space – I am already worried about how I will cope without my whole wardrobe of clothes!!! (no honestly I will be fine – I will pack light!)
-foldaway chairs + table – Can anyone suggest ones which pack away small but are still good quality?
-Portable toilet – Are these a must? We will be staying in campsites etc so there will be facilities there. Most of the vans we have viewed do have space for them though.
I understand that space on campers is so valuable so I am trying to not get toooo excited about having purchased a van and I am stopping myself on kitting it out with EVERYTHING!!! :)

·
Special Rapporteur
9,974 Posts
There really isn't any substitute for an actual holiday to know what is essential to you - one person's "essential" can be irrelevant to another. My recommendation would be a weekend (at least) away before going on your first long holiday, as that way you can try everything out without being miles from anywhere and finding out you've forgotten something. You can then make up your own packing list from that initial trial.

I always have a portable toilet on board, but in the 10 years that I've been camping with one I've never actually used mine! But at least I know it's there in case it should become necessary...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Agree with the comment above. Also, how many of you, how is the van fitted out and do you intend to use a top box? We did the South of France last Summer, 4 of us in a T4. We use a Vango Separa awning and put the top box in the awning because so many car parks in France are a maximum of 2m height.

It is a long drive so perhaps think about 1 or 2 stop overs, some nice places to stay on the way up / down. We have never needed a toilet onboard. We carry a folding charcoal BBQ (cheap and cheerful) and have never used it! Lots of eating out or just bring stuff back and eat outside under the stars. Folding outwell table and folding coleman chairs come in handy. The electronic gadget for the toll roads is well worth it, and saves time and hassle (cost me £205 in tolls last Summer) it can be sorted out through the channel tunnel website. I can E Mail my check off list of stuff if it helpsT:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your advice so far. My head is a mixed bag of excitement / T5 / holidays / sinks + hobs!!!

There is 2 of us travelling. The van is a pop up. We are just organising the interior at the moment - assembling the units etc and ordering a 3/4 bed - so it's quite clearly not ready to go just yet! We are not planning on using a top box. We have been looking at awnings - is the Vango one good?

We will be using the van for a couple of weekends once it's kitted out before the France trip.

Yes please - could you email me your checklist?

Thanks guys - I knew the VW crowd were a helpful bunch! x

·
Registered
539 Posts
PM sent, cutting from EXCEL into a PM resulted in it becoming muddled into a long list and not subdivided, but it is all there. Best wishesT:

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
S of France in May/June, that's where we are going. Give us a wave.

Gas Stove V BBQ, try one of these.

Gets hot enough to cook steaks, fish and sausages outside so you don't mess up the inside of the van.
Folds up into a little pouch for easy storage.

Portable toilet. Ugh, who wants to carry their own excrement sloshing around in the back of the van.
The French do have toilets now.

May/June is 'low' season. Try getting a Camping Card from ACSI. You can get a nights camping for 2 people and a van for as little as 12 Euros

·
Registered
188 Posts
We are taking our T5 over to The Dordogne end of May beginning of June, sailing Portsmouth to St Malo. Overnight crossing so we'll hopefully be feeling fresh when we hit the French roads. Enjoy your holiday.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Use the French Aires if you can - at least once! They are brilliant, usually near facilities and often next to municipal campsites so you can use their toilet facilities. Oh and don't be afraid of doing a bit of wild camping as well - its not frowned upon over there like it is here.A:

·
Registered
101 Posts
S of France in May/June, that's where we are going. Give us a wave.

Gas Stove V BBQ, try one of these.

Gets hot enough to cook steaks, fish and sausages outside so you don't mess up the inside of the van.
Folds up into a little pouch for easy storage.

Portable toilet. Ugh, who wants to carry their own excrement sloshing around in the back of the van.
The French do have toilets now.

May/June is 'low' season. Try getting a Camping Card from ACSI. You can get a nights camping for 2 people and a van for as little as 12 Euros

We used one of these whilst travelling around Europe in our MX5.
Brilliant piece of kit, which we couldn't have lived without, for what we needed.
Now we go away in the van, we take a Cadac and a barbecue, but if space ever came an issue, I would substitute both for a party grill without a second thought.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If the bus is ready in time we are doing france/spain in August 2 adults and 2 kids so the porta potti is a must. Among other things we are considering a carri chef as looks like everything you need, but concerned of the packed down size taking to much room up. We only us the hob in the bus for tea/coffee etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts