VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can those in the know tell me what would be the cheapest way of getting a T5 with a 2.5 . Would a Kombi ( factory ) be cheaper than a van , would lwb be much more expensive than swb or would a shuttle be more expensive .

I have looked at lots of ads but price variations are so great that I am not sure what I am looking for . All I really need is a T5 , 2.5 , so like for like with average mileage and good condition but not mint whats my best route .
Cheers Paul

·
Registered
454 Posts
It really depends what you want out of your T5:ILU:? Convert to camper? day van? just a van? if you post up what your plans are im sure you will get some helpful replies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the advice ,
I need it for towing a trailer for work hence the 2.5 , would like a t32 but t30 would be ok , need to have a second row of two seats so maybe Kombi ? or if a van would fit a r and r bed/seat .

So all in all one vehicle that can do me for work but still be used for camping and days out etc . Camping I take a tent anyway so no need for a camper conversion as such maybe just the r and r bed .

Whats the cheapest way in ?

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a similar situation as you. I went for a caravelle with low miles on a 55 plate. It's got fatory fitted tow bar as standard on most.
2.5 TDI 174 bhp plenty of towing power.
The seats are on rails so you can move them or take them out. Nice and easy!!
Also the rear bench seat folds into a full width bed.
I paid £11k and am well happy. T:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Plectrum5 , may go that route myself . Just searching all the ads and doing some research .
Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cheers Plectrum5 , may go that route myself . Just searching all the ads and doing some research .
Paul
Paul in a velle all the extras are standard. Captains chairs (heated) air con it gos on.
Had a t5 1.9 camper van fora year and got fed up of the lack of mod cons..
Go factory and stay away from modifications and you will be well pleased.
Good luck Paul.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I looked at all the options inc caravelle, shuttle etc etc.
In the end I plumped for a panel van because I felt I could get a newer/lower mileage base van.
Doing that means you then need to cost lining van, windows and dropping in seats.
I figured it was marginally better to do that and I would end up with something that was exactly the set up I wanted and a wee bit newer.

Just about to book mine in for the conversion work A:

Bear in mind that decent conversion companies (particularly the likes of NWCC) have a waiting list.
Other recommendations: Vandoc for windows and Colin at Oxford T5 for seats

·
Registered
288 Posts
I looked at all the options inc caravelle, shuttle etc etc.
In the end I plumped for a panel van because I felt I could get a newer/lower mileage base van.
Doing that means you then need to cost lining van, windows and dropping in seats.
I figured it was marginally better to do that and I would end up with something that was exactly the set up I wanted and a wee bit newer.

Just about to book mine in for the conversion work A:

Bear in mind that decent conversion companies (particularly the likes of NWCC) have a waiting list.
Other recommendations: Vandoc for windows and Colin at Oxford T5 for seats
Also sound advice mate. It's a case of each to his own and budget.T:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cheers fellas , both informative and honest posts .
Paul
No worries - I trawled this forum for hours and it is fantastic for advice. I have saved a fortune by taking the time to read threads and benefit from the collective knowledge.
Where are you in London? I'm Boston Manor (West).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am in the South east , Eltham .
The caravelles I could afford are the very high milers ex airport transfer vehicles or like you could buy a basic panel van less miles but less spec and needing a small amount of conversion , r and r bed or 2nd row seats , two side windows plus need air con .
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts