VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my monthly quota £1.98 per 3 litres from Sainsburys - was £1.69 not so long ago.

Have they cottoned on to our "secret" or what?

What with the price of bread and milk and Diesel being £100.9 at my local my boss is in for an expensive pay round this year :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all!

I'm a newbie to the T4 world ... Just bought a 2.4d surfbus converted van ... I've not really thought about veg oil before, but what would I need to do to run my van on it? ... Sorry, I guess it's a real newbie question.

Great forum!

Rich

·
Registered
181 Posts
What you will need to run your bus on it?
Its a terribly difficult thing, but Ill try and explain it in laymans terms
Buy your oil.
Buy a funnel
Pour oil into tank
Drive with a smug self satisfied look on face.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I dnt know about using it in a Turbo
I've used it in my 2.4 recently at around a 50% mix with no probs though I now want to change my fuel filter asIve learned that the Veg oil will pull the muck from the bottom of the tank into the filter.
Using a heater is the proper way to do it to run all year round at about 90% Veg oil or a two tank system, starting it on Diesle then switching to Veg oil then flushing it out with diesel before you turn off ready for the next cold start.
Ease off the mix during winter but most sites say its OK at around 20% which is what Ill be doing.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In one of their annual environmental reports (1998) VW stated that their entire diesel range would run on pump bio diesel, which is about a 20-30% mix.

I run my 1.9 TD van on 30% at the moment, but in the winter I will be running 10-20% veg oil, or may be neat if gets really cold.

I found that my didn't like 50/50 very much and fuel consumption went through the floor, cancelling out any saving - currently my fuel consumption is tracking normal, so I reckon I'm saving about 10% (more if Lidls keep their price down) including the added yearly fuel filter change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I first came across a T4 running on veg oil when I used to pull on spanners the difference when performing the soot test was very impressive, when they have been running on veg oil for some time you really don’t get hardly any accumulated build up of soot in the exhaust system which is often the reason why even a clean running diesel will fail the soot test

You have to be careful in the very cold weather of running veg oil even with a preheat tank as the cold oil in the fuel lines and pump can be so thick that the pump has to work so hard to compress it that the cam/pump belt can snap or jump

When it’s really cold, heating oil is a good replacement on an 80/20 oil/Diesel mix and the plus is the ministry can’t pick it up on a dip test. Not that I would do this myself or recommend that anyone else should

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, just bought my first T4 - a caravelle. I too am looking at the veg oil route, but am a bit reluctant to try it. I take it the Bosch pump will be OK with it ? dont want to mess it up after only just buying it. Oh its a 1996 (late) version with a 2.4

·
Registered
58 Posts
We've worked gradually up to around 30% on our 2.4 (1993)- running very nicely. The weather is getting colder now so we may stay at that level for a while.
We're using Lidl rape seed oil at the moment(56p/l) - has anyone tried the corn oil? This was only 49p/l.

I was very nervous having only got our van this year - a big investment, but having watched the thread on the old forum, and a similar one and links from the wild camping forum, I've been convinced. Hopefully my confidence won't prove to be misplaced!

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the link (which worked fine and gave me a good background).

I'll probably not be using my van so much over winter, so will probably leave it on 100% diesel ... I don't fancy changing fuel filters on a cold winters morning.

I think I may give it a try as the weather warms up a bit ... Although, I'm not sure how much saving v's hassle it's worth.

Thanks again for all the advice & help

Rich

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Veg oil & what is the best mix?

Hey dudes

Forgive if I ask so many (basic) questions but I think I have to seriously consider the veg oil now. I drive about 500 miles over a weekend every fortnite or so, and feeling the near £1 per litre pinch big time.

Read the threads so far but can someone please educate me a little more.

What is the best mix? I have read 50/50, 20oil/80diesel, 30/70. I am a little scared here cos it sounds so wrong to do but gonna take the funnel and pour!

My tank is 80 litres, so on a 20/80 mix, I would put abt 16 litres of veg oil down the tank and then fill up, or fill up with 64 litres of fuel and then put the oil in. Does it matter which way round? Are we taking about normal vegetable cooking oil from good old Tesco's or wherever? Not sure what 16 litres of veg oil costs right now but sure beats the penny shy of £16 :eek: (just over 16 litres) of diesel!

I have just blanked the EGR and fitted an air induction kit - think Scooby has gained some power but will the veg oil make any difference - slow him down?

Is it wise to use veg oil in the winter?

Many thanks people

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
feel like a school boy who has just asked the obvious :D
thanks for info tho
had to ask 'cos i'd be well and truly [email protected]*#ked if i had popped some hot chilli extra virgin oil in it :p
You did say you wanted it to go faster...

Seriously, we've all asked the same question so no worries...

1 - 20 of 99 Posts