VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T4 details
01 Syncro with ACV ENGINE 2.5L TDI

TL,DR: I stupidly (first time ever doing it ever) replaced the fuel filter on my 2001 2.5 TDI ACV and didn’t fill the new fuel filter with diesel. So now I’m assuming I have air in my fuel lines. I got it started three separate times but engine stopped on low revs, presumably because the significant amount of air in the lines.
I’m struggling to locate a priming bulb/pump like on other diesels. Can anyone shed any light on this subject for me please?

Long story....

so this is my first vehicle I’ve attempted to do any maintenance myself on. Hence the rookie mistakes. So I have replaced the fuel filter(unfortunately I did not fill fuel filter with anything), I retightened the lines, checked the o-ring, clicked key to accessories roughly ten times, cranked it and got life out of it but forgot to floor accelerator so engine stopped maybe 10secs after. I proceeded to check out any potentially kinked lines, and what I had done in terms of fuel lines, double check o-ring, repeated process with key, this time I got the accelerator down and engine stayed running for 30seconds or longer but eventually revs dropped and stopped the engine.
I believe due to the large amount of air I have introduced to the fuel system I need to bleed or prime the air out. I’m hesitant to touch the injectors to bleed the air out (online research has lead me to believe this could be a remedy) as I can see me (Unknowledgeable rookie) upsetting them, either cracking a seal or further breaking something involved with the engine.
Also a mechanically minded friend has told me not to touch them but look for a priming pump. WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS IT? I’ve traced the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the fuel pump, looked on all the surfaces , above and below on the pump, and I can’t seem to find anything to fit the description of the primer pump.
I have read through a handful of posts here on this site and other places some saying people have installed their own hand pumps, others saying that the engines are self bleeding. as far as I understand this is common to some degree with replacing the fuel filters in Diesel engines (minus not filling the filter).
Other details are my battery charge is currently sitting at 12.5VDC (presumably enough to turn over), I had started the engine three times in the last few days but not driven anywhere except from front lawns to garage (to begin the maintenance).
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope I haven’t damaged my engine already before I even got her (the T4) on to the roads....

·
Registered
810 Posts
It doesn't have one, take fuel filter off, fill it with diesel and try again. You might need to crack a few injector pipes off to let air out at the unions... Other method is to tow the van in gear to bleed the fuel system and allow the engine to start ! Dont be tempted to start it on gas/ether/easystart as there is a high risk of bending rods from a novice point of view...

·
Registered
84 Posts
or you can just fit a priming bulb in the fuel line before the filter :) I did this on my 1.9TD as the fuel kept draining back - months (years?) later this was traced to a leaky fuel pump but the bulb acted a sa one way valve and has the handy side effect of being able to manually prime the system if you need to.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,961 Posts
Never had any problems!
Change filter, crank for 10 seconds.....wait a few mins for starter motor to cool down...repeat...repeat...
Battery still had enough "juice" left after 5-6 tries to still get the engine to start.
I never seem to have a "bottle" of fuel around to fill the filter with anyway.

To avoid air locks....try filling the filter with washing up liquid....would clean the injectors at the same time :eek:
(DO NOT DO THIS!!!!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Hobbyhorse,
Would you be able to tell me where the 'fuel sender 1' is located?
Is it under the passenger seat?
Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,961 Posts
RHD....under passenger seat.....LHD...under drivers.
Easy to get to, but takes time and effort.

Thing is.....T4 do NOT have a pump in the tank.....the wiring shown is simply for the level in the tank!!
NO PUMP!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks. Did you install your primer bulb after the filter? I’m Just not sure it would really matter before or after seeing as it is self bleeding pump and it’s pulling more fuel from the tank....plus there’s an easier install by putting it after the filter...

or you can just fit a priming bulb in the fuel line before the filter :) I did this on my 1.9TD as the fuel kept draining back - months (years?) later this was traced to a leaky fuel pump but the bulb acted a sa one way valve and has the handy side effect of being able to manually prime the system if you need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts