VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope somebody has a bit of experience in fitting front Vmaxx struts to a T4.

When I first fitted mine, I didn't do the top bolt up too tight as the angle of the strutt seemed to need a bit of play. Problem with that was the top of the strutt seemed to be knocking against the part it attaches to (this can be seen at very top of picture below) so I took apart again and tightened up the top bolt as much as I could. Problem now is the angle is causing the top of the strutt to rub against the bottom one and probably weakening it so not driving it for now...

Should the top bolt be tight? Is there anything else that might be causing this awkward angle? I'm thinking of putting the originals back on for now but any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm thinking this might be to do with the camber? Would adjusting that reduce the angle which is causing the strut to not sit correctly?

EDIT - I have just spoke to a local tyre fitter who says it's quite common for the top shroud to rub against the shock but this doesn't seem right so I'll try calling V-Maxx.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm thinking this might be to do with the camber? Would adjusting that reduce the angle which is causing the strut to not sit correctly?

EDIT - I have just spoke to a local tyre fitter who says it's quite common for the top shroud to rub against the shock but this doesn't seem right so I'll try calling V-Maxx.
Don't worry about it just pull the shroud out of the way so it won't rub , it does happen and not anything major

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, "too tight Turkish!". Just spoke to Vmaxx, the top is only suppose to be tight enough to close up the gap to the rubber which is how I had it before, oh well, at least that should sort it. A:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Basically, "too tight Turkish!". Just spoke to Vmaxx, the top is only suppose to be tight enough to close up the gap to the rubber which is how I had it before, oh well, at least that should sort it. A:
top front shock bolts need to be as tight as they will go mate...if they are not done up then they will cause knocking...

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told they should be tight enough to stop the rubber spacers moving, but not so tight as to squash them, kind of makes sense, and shouldn't knock if there is no play in them. That's how I had them before but to be honest there was a bit of knocking, hence why I did them up as tight as they would go.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I was told they should be tight enough to stop the rubber spacers moving, but not so tight as to squash them, kind of makes sense, and shouldn't knock if there is no play in them. That's how I had them before but to be honest there was a bit of knocking, hence why I did them up as tight as they would go.
shock needs to be held from rotation..i use a special tool for this,then tighten with a spanner to i cant move anymore...every shock i ever fit is like this and in over a 100 vans i have lowered,i have never had shroud rub or had them looking like yours once fitted...unless the tops are done up then you will get the knock..

most use impact guns to do them up...me myself,but usually do with the hand tools to make sure they are tightened how i want them

many threads on here about shocks knocking after fitting,most are down to top shock bolt not tight enough..

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
shock needs to be held from rotation..i use a special tool for this,then tighten with a spanner to i cant move anymore...every shock i ever fit is like this and in over a 100 vans i have lowered,i have never had shroud rub or had them looking like yours once fitted...unless the tops are done up then you will get the knock..

most use impact guns to do them up...me myself,but usually do with the hand tools to make sure they are tightened how i want them

many threads on here about shocks knocking after fitting,most are down to top shock bolt not tight enough..
Yes, I would have thought it needed to be tight but there would be no need to stop it rotating as it's bolted on at the bottom, I know it's different for the rear shocks though.

Plus, if it's not tight, the top of the shroud can knock against the metal plate it sits in, that little nick in the top of the shroud on the first photo is the result of this.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Don't worry about it just pull the shroud out of the way so it won't rub , it does happen and not anything major
Well, took a look this evening, you're absolutely right, no drama. Seems when the plate is screwed tight, it moves the shroud. It isn't easy to move back, with the top nut being so tight but I just wedged the end of a screw driver up underneath and that moved it.

Thanks for the replies. A:

EDIT - Pants! :( As soon as I've put it down again, the shroud has pushed up against the side of the strut, there doesn't seem to be enough clearance within the metal plate above the strut, the original shock had a much bigger bit of rubber than what comes with the Vmaxx one

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought I'd post an update on this. Since my last post I contacted T4srus where I bought the kit from, Chris has been helpful and confirmed it is all fitted correctly and is currently dealing with VMaxx in The Netherlands on the problem. I'm starting to think/realise that no two T4s are the same and this might just be an example of this. Although it may be harmless rubbing, it does make a noise and will probably eventually corrode a lot which would be an MOT failure.

I noticed that the Bilstein suspension kit (http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t4--40mm-t4s-r-us--bilstein-premium-lowering-suspension-kit-t440pk-225-p.asp) has an additional section before the first washer, this would stop the top from contacting the mounting plate and probably solve the problem, has anybody else fitted these?

Anyway, for now I'll wait to hear what Vmaxx say on this.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the shock will need fitting as below

shock
washer
bush
collar
mounting plate
bush
washer
nut

if the washer is missing from below the bottom bush next to the shock,then just fit some of your old ones from your old shocks..this needs to be there

simon
Yes, that's it except the collar isn't part of the kit, both bushes have have a raised part on the side that fits into the mounting plate.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally found a moment to look at this again and after a good look, decided to use the new shocks but with the old rubber bushes and collar, adding and extra washer at the top of the strutt to act as a spacer. I've just driven almost 200 miles and it is definitely better, it was also possible to move the cover away from the main strutt. I'll upload some pictures in the next few days. I still don't think these vmaxx kits are all that good though, I'll get knocking still on a rough road.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Oddly enough i used to have V-maxx coilovers fitted on my clio Sport, had no end of trouble with the fitting of them,.. the strutts left very little at the top to bolt up, had to get them machined, still didnt fit right, had knocking over rough ground, needless to say i didnt get on with them either...

I know it doesnt help you, but just thought i would share my issues with them.

Hope you get it sorted fella.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems that although nobody else seems to have had this problem, there are many users asking about knocking after fitting a VMaxx suspension kit to a T4, something I experienced myself so I thought I'd explain the solution I found, which is not ideal and I'm looking to get another kit altogether as I don't rate these at all.

The main problem seems to just be that the VMaxx front shocks do not have any clearance at the top, this means that when done up tight, the metal cover to the shock was in contact with the mounting plate.

The following image shows where it had come into contact with the plate...

And this image shows how close it is if only using the rubber bushes supplied with the kit...

So, the solution would be to give clearance, the original shock is shaped so that it will not come into contact with the mounting plate, as shown here...

So the rubber bushes and spacers supplied with the kit just don't seem up to it, image of these here...

To give clearance, I have now used both washers from the kit on the top of the shock, then gone back to using the original rubber bushes and collars, as shown here...

The knocking has now gone and I can adjust the top cover enough to stop it rubbing against the shock, it's only big bumps and pot holes now that cause a problem, but I think that's just the bump stops knocking.

Personally, I'm not overly impressed with this kit, it's not too bad on the back but if I was to do this again, I'd go for a more expensive kit.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm happy to say this problem is truly solved now, I would like to thank Chris at t4srus who must have found this one odd, as it was, and he was good enough to arrange a replacement pair of front shocks. To be safe, I fitted with original rubbers and while off I also took a third off the bump stops. The front shocks are now fine and unless I hit a really big bump or pothole, I just get a reassuring thud on bumps.

Now the rear ones, there's another thing, I'll put in another thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts