VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've been noticing a that I am getting more an more problems selecting 5th gear when the van has been running after 10-15 miles. As I lift the clutch I just get the crunch of gears because the cogs haven't fully engaged.

It seems ok when cold and double de-clutching doesn't help. The only thing that seems to work is throwing the lever twice with the clutch disengaged i.e. going from 4th to 5th, back to neutral and then back to 5th.

This seems to be a viable work around for the moment but for how long I'm not sure. We managed to survive a trip from Shropshire to Dorset and back at the weekend but are off the France in August and would like to get it sorted before then.

If anyone has had the same issue or has any suggestions as to whether its might be a linkage or internal gearbox problem these will be gratefully received.

Cheers :confused:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. mate. you could. upgrade 5th gear the cogs are more than likely worn. lots of. how to do.s. on here. Also. change g/box oil. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - sorry for not getting back sooner. I'm lining up booking it into the garage for some other bits & pieces and will get them to do a gearbox oil change at least & see how it goes from there :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have exactly the same with my AAB 2.4d 91.... When cold, gets into 5th no problem, after a good run it starts grinding..

I replaces 1 of the rubber linkage bushes at the gearbox end (seemed easiest to do) helped a little.

I'm thinking maybe some of the rubbers have failed under the floor gear selector end.

I have found a way to get it into 5th... If I bring the stick up to 5th gently and just hold it up there, it falls in with no grinding all within a second or 2.

down shifting is often a pain, it feels like its gated going 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd - Double clutching defo helps here.

Maybe its the oil, maybe it's the links, maybe worn gears, possibly the thrust bearing? Who knows... I just got used to it. It's done 220K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts