VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

Im having a few issues with my beloved at the moment, 2.5tdi but am well and truly stumped.

Im finding that I am un able to start her more and more frequently, I put the key in the ignition as you do then wait for the grow plug light to go out, when I then go to turn it over all I get is a single click sound then nothing?? No starter motor noise or anything.

Initial I though battery but it is at 12.63v which I understand to be ok and got it tested results good. then when running it goes to 14+v so is charging.

I then added a booster pack directly to the battery and she starts then without fail.

My only other train of thought is bad earthing but im no mechanic and don't know where to go from hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If it starts without fail when a booster pack is connected straight on the battery connections, then either the battery is shot, or the battery connections or cables are shot. It cannot be downstream of this.
Try measuring the battery voltage when some one sries to crank it over. If the battery has an internal fault, it can show full voltage and run small current consumers, but appears dead when cranking, then comes to life straight after, and shows full voltage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Im gonna go check out what you've said and ill get back to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
see if you have 12 v at the starter terminal when its cranked over could be ignition switch thats what happening to mine at the moment about £15 from GSF

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The earth connection runs one cable from battery to connection point on bulkhead (just under battery) and then another cable onto the engine block. worth checking that bulkhead junction is good.

Also check that battery connection cables are sat right down on battery posts, as they can ride high and make poor connection for high current situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts