VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of 2004 SWB 130 Kombi, DSG. 165,000 on the clock probably paid to much for it and there is a list of jobs to do. In my experience its better to share and I've found these forums an invaluable resource when I've been researching what is and what isn't possible.

The intention is to change the van in to an occasional weekend camper and build myself and significant other into attempting the Highland 500 and a few other bucket lists.

I've looked at plenty of the alternatives but none of them completely ticked all the boxes. So I've started to build my own storage and camp solution.

After a lot of measuring I decided the way forward was 18mm Ply. Big sheet from B&Q provided the framework for the bed and drawers. The anchor points are the load tethers. Top tip you need an 8mm spline drive to remove them and I've replaced them with 10mm X 100m (Belt and braces) to hold in the frame.

Dimensions. 550 High, 1200 wide. Mattress size King.

You can see more in the next photo with a 12mm deck on the frame which takes my not inconsequential lockdown weight at the moment !

Finishing the project this week is to add two drawers in the space provided. I have some 100kg runners coming and I've intentionally made the drawers deep enough to take a standing honey pot and enough space at the front end to put duvets and pillows through a pull out hatch in the area behind the seats as well as a mobile fridge, camping gear etc.

It struck me that this was an ideal platform to add a bulkhead to go behind the back seats to keep the noise down in the cabin and then work out how I might be able to use it as the top end of the bed when I'm using it as a camper.

Jobs to do.

• Engine Fan is always on - suspect its a dodgy sensor.
  • Setting 4 on internal fan - New resistor fitted and voila fixed.
  • No stereo - Fitted the Sony XAV-AX1000 Media - Good sound and bass, needed to swap the red and yellow leads around (very easy to do) otherwise the stereo is always on and the doors won't lock on key fob.
  • Oil sensor light - Needs to be looked at.
  • High Level brake lights - One didn't work so replaced both. Fell apart in my hands when I removed them and needed to use some heath robinson electrical work around for the connectors.
  • Cam Belt Change
  • Mirrors don't work
  • Outside Temp Gauge - Stopped working but close to the engine fan sensor so might be the same.
More pictures to follow but any tips on the Mirrors and outside temp gauge please don't hesitate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm the proud owner of 2004 SWB 130 Kombi, DSG. 165,000 on the clock probably paid to much for it and there is a list of jobs to do. In my experience its better to share and I've found these forums an invaluable resource when I've been researching what is and what isn't possible.

The intention is to change the van in to an occasional weekend camper and build myself and significant other into attempting the Highland 500 and a few other bucket lists.

I've looked at plenty of the alternatives but none of them completely ticked all the boxes. So I've started to build my own storage and camp solution.

After a lot of measuring I decided the way forward was 18mm Ply. Big sheet from B&Q provided the framework for the bed and drawers. The anchor points are the load tethers. Top tip you need an 8mm spline drive to remove them and I've replaced them with 10mm X 100m (Belt and braces) to hold in the frame.
View attachment 181900

Dimensions. 550 High, 1200 wide. Mattress size King.

You can see more in the next photo with a 12mm deck on the frame which takes my not inconsequential lockdown weight at the moment !

View attachment 181901

Finishing the project this week is to add two drawers in the space provided. I have some 100kg runners coming and I've intentionally made the drawers deep enough to take a standing honey pot and enough space at the front end to put duvets and pillows through a pull out hatch in the area behind the seats as well as a mobile fridge, camping gear etc.

It struck me that this was an ideal platform to add a bulkhead to go behind the back seats to keep the noise down in the cabin and then work out how I might be able to use it as the top end of the bed when I'm using it as a camper.

Jobs to do.

• Engine Fan is always on - suspect its a dodgy sensor.
  • Setting 4 on internal fan - New resistor fitted and voila fixed.
  • No stereo - Fitted the Sony XAV-AX1000 Media - Good sound and bass, needed to swap the red and yellow leads around (very easy to do) otherwise the stereo is always on and the doors won't lock on key fob.
  • Oil sensor light - Needs to be looked at.
  • High Level brake lights - One didn't work so replaced both. Fell apart in my hands when I removed them and needed to use some heath robinson electrical work around for the connectors.
  • Cam Belt Change
  • Mirrors don't work
  • Outside Temp Gauge - Stopped working but close to the engine fan sensor so might be the same.
More pictures to follow but any tips on the Mirrors and outside temp gauge please don't hesitate.
hey cj
Looks like your attempting to do something similar to what I’m looking to try and achieve.
I’ve got a Jon I and have been talking to my wife about getting the back kitted out with storage and a bed for the kids.
I was looking to put a wooden bulk head in and try and house some speakers for the stereo in at the same time.
I like your idea about the hole in it for storing the pillows and quilt behind the seats.
I’ve been looking on Pinterest for a bit of inspiration but haven’t a clue what to do or how about doing it so I’m interested to see how you progress in your build, maybe take some inspiration from it as well to be honest.
looking forward to your next posts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rell. Fitting the drawers today so hopefully I can update with some more pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
I’ve been working my way through a lot of plywood and screws but I will let the pictures do some of the talking.

Frame and drawers installed. Drawers are 600l x 480w x 410d. Extra box at the front under a hinged hatch for duvets and pillow. Frame and drawers made from 18mm ply.

Drawers at extension.

You can see the piano hinge on the 12mm cover.

My intention is still to create a bed from a bulkhead but holidays beckon and a t6 came up and it was local and reasonable value more on that later.

Finished the drawers and the bed shelf with some carpet which I had from the previous owner. Some edging channel from eBay to protect the high traffic edges will secure the carpet on the difficult to carpet edges !

So onto the T6 bulkhead. I wanted to build a bulkhead as part of the bed and I will. But I needed a bulkhead for the impending holidays. In short the roof profile is the same and the floor of my kombi is the same including seat belts. The addition of an insulated ceiling and carpet means a little bit of surgery is required.

I cut across the width at just below the top of the bed platform which made a pretty firm anchor. Then to the backside and screw through the lip of the bulkhead into the ceiling.

To the bottom half after a reasonable amount of surgery with my saw on the return edges which were fouling the seatbelts I simply pushed it over the bottom of the top. Again I was able to screw it to the back of the bed platform.

I need to put a bit of beading over the top edge but the most important thing is the seats fit !

As soon as the hols are over I can start on the bed again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
looks decent CJ.

Where did you get the runners from?
I keep wondering whether to put a bulk head in.
how does the bus sit and drive with the additional weight from the timber?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Th bus sits fine but its a T30 so built for weight and I don't think it weighs more than a sheet and half of 18mm ply and impossibly over engineered for what it needs to be. The runners were from ebay

I got the longest they do so that I can if I want add another compartment to the drawers as and when I find they don't take what i want ! The bulkhead cuts the noise down and gives it a much more finished feel. I'll find out whether it was worth it after this week's 1,000 mile round trip to the south west.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Nice work there CJ, always nice to see someone's diy project. Keep it up and us updated (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
And get yourself to croyde in north Devon.
Well worth a stop over. 10 mins from Woolacombe. Love the place

1 - 10 of 10 Posts