VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently did this conversion and struggled.

So I thought that I would pass on some tips gained from my own experience so it can help others without the need to read 100+ pages of the project thread.

My Tips

1. Don't use 1/2 inch socket sets they are simply too big and clumsy, 3/8th drives are so much easier
2. Get yourself a 3/8ths 6mm hex to undo those inlet manifold bolts.
3. Get a 75mm 3/8th extension bar and UJ or even better a flexi drive shaft from machine mart.
4. Have to hand a small handled ratchet as well as a normal length one.
5. Obtain a proper exhaust clamp removal tool, makes the job so quick and easy
6. bolt up the lower oil pipe to the turbo before you fit the turbo to the manifold.
7. I fitted the exhaust manifold, then the inlet manifold and then the turbo.

I just found it impossible to get to the inlet bolts when the turbo was on so by putting the turbo on last gives you just a single bolt that is a pain.
The bolt in question is the turbo mounting bolt closest to the head.

I taped this bolt to the socket and added a UJ and 2 long extensions.
Feed the assembly up behind the exhaust manifold and fiddle the bolt into its hole and protruding above the mating surface.
Using a length of wire I put a loop around the bolt shaft and tied this off to stop the bold dropping out.
Go and find a helper and ask a help to help steady the turbo and ensure that the mating surfaces are kept parallel.
Then from under the van simply tighten it up, jobs a gooden :)

8. Before you start, try to find out what size your oil cooler blanking plug is (Ask a VW parts desk) trust me, I did not do this and it resulted in a massive panic trying to get all the bits I needed in time to have the van back on the road for the working week.

PLEASE NOTE - Have a makeshift punch bag available to take out your frustration, as there will be plenty of that trust me

Don’t have the wife about, it will result in divorce.

At the end of the day, it’s a brilliant conversion and transforms the van but its painful to get there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts