VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just read the project power thread i'm very interested in going down this route in my 102 velle.
Being up in the north of Scotland however i'm a bit far from chipwizzards in rochdale, around 700 miles i think!:(
I am heading down that way in the summer though on a bit of a road trip and thought I could arrange to get my remap done then. Would there be any problems running the van with the upgraded nozzles and no remap for the best part of 1000 miles before I had the remap done or should it be ok??:*

Also if I was to fit a stainless freeflow exhaust, induction kit and egr power pipe before I changed the nozzles and had the remap what sort of power could I expect once it was all done and how would it affect my MPG. Any ideas what the van would still achieve??

Would be doing this to make it more drivable more than just going for the power, if that makes sense, so wouldn't want to reduce my MPG. An increase would be better!!A:

Cheers in advance guys, a few questions there for you!!:ILU:

·
Registered
465 Posts
about 150bhp, maybe more. the mods you listed are what most of us have done, you dont really get any gains out of them but they help the engine rev up easier.

Chipwizards remap makes the van far nicer to drive, good useable power, not silly pub talk figures.
And yes providing everything is in good condition and you drive normally, you should see an increase in MPG too :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the bigger injectors fitted about 3 month before I got round to going to see Wayne at Chipwizards and had no problems other then a lumpy tickover. I had the EGR valve completly removed and an Allard pipe fitted, decat and the injectors and was getting 136 bhp on Waynes first dyno run.
After the remap it's now 150bhp and ticks over really smooth. Wayne did get it up to over 160bhp but it was a bit smokey so he turned it back a bit.
Only thing to be aware of is if you go down the PP route then expect to have clutch issues after it's been done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. T:

Clutch issues??? :confused:
How do you mean exactly. Does an uprated clutch have to be used? Won't the 102 clutch handle the extra power?

What experiences have you guys had with this??? Didn't think i'd have to uprate the clutch aswell!:(

:ILU:

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
The extra power and the stress of the rolling road will show up any weakness in the clutch, especially if the clutch is old or already worn. Lots of people seem to run standard clutches and around 150bhp, it all depends on how aggressive the map is.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
ive had my 88hp TDi uprated to 152hp . no intercooler and its now done 40k since the remap . still on its origional clutch and the van is now at 215k so i would disagree that uprated clutches are needed . anyone can kill a clutch in no time with bad driving T: . i have had my van from new and i am the only driver .
kieran

1 - 7 of 7 Posts