VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all..

well after giving it some thought and reading all the PP threads and hunting the net for tales of T4 tuning i have come to the conclusion its time to tune....plus i have had a cheeky insurance payout also I:

so my plans are

Van is a 1998 2.5TDI ACV 102bhp

stainless decat exhaust (done)
EGR Blank (done)

now the next phase

Volvo K14 TDI Turbocharger (bought)

Bigger Nozzles (to get)

Custom remap (to sort)

IC Water Spray (Just for fun)

Ram Air Induction (not sure of value read somwhere that you only get about 0.5-1.0 psi at 100mph)

So thats my plan now im looking for an idea of what the above is likely to cost if i took it to a tuner a said there you go i want 200bhp!

any thoughts or coments greatfully received i will be running a thread on this project and hopefully doing some BHP Dyno runs before during and after to show what each mod does.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: 200bhp whats it going to cost????

hi mate am going down that road but not 200 bhp mine will be about 160 - 170 ish ihave already been told clutch trouble and will need bigger brakes if i drive it hard :eek: and of course on a private road got my intercooler in and got me 150 bhp nozzles just ordered the injector bodies and then in for the job so nearly there Rasp:will be good to see how you get on keep us posted mate :ILU: sorry for got to say it will cost me about £700 i have done the hard work myself and thats not doing the brakes or clucth yet :eek: i was going to try it and see how i get on first and go from there good luck buddy

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

its going to run out of steam way to quick down to gearing a 88bhp box would of been better .

i wouldnt persnoaly of chosen the k14 turbo would of gone for a holset or a k26 , failing them would of pushed the standard turbo with few modifactions to 200ish with still a good spool up without running to much so was just creating hot air .

a decent clutch is going to be needed as the standard one will not cope or come close .

not sure if the maf will need upgrading to acheive those powers either .

first port of call would be standard manifold ported for better flow , decent size inlet matched.

you will have to speak to rake about the injectors because not sure what duty cycle pepole are running on there injectors as you may need a fpr or bigger injectors .

some nice stoppers on the front to slow it down LOL:

cant see why pepole even bother trying to make a van fast imo as if you wanted speed you would just buy a weekend toy , but then again you get pepole that cant adapt easy I:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks darren well i reckon getting the turbo to fit ie getting an adapter plate etc and the remap will be the most costly on top of cost of parts...

of course any south west tuners that fancy having a dabble with my T4 to see if it opens up a new market for them in these difficult economic times are more than welcome to use my T4 as a prototype;)I: LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

88bhp box is a VW box and the 102bhp box is non vw so therfore making it harder to fit higher final drive of higher 5th gear ratio to make use of all the power .

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

work the gearing out for yourself , it might be possible just dont want you spending all the money on making it get to top speed in 0000.1seconds if its no good as a daily drive .

working out cheaper to buy a sports car at this rate LOL:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yep i have been following shadow makers thread on here and other forums he certanly nows his stuff shame he doesnt have a garage down in cornwallLOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

better add a 88bhp box to the wish list,,,,,this is now adding upLOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
As I understand it, the 102bhp box is the stronger of the two units.
The top ratio may be shorter (after you have modified the gearing) but if you are happy with the cruising speed and RPM now then why change it?
The 102 box has had over 350bhp and loads of torque through it with little or no problems (appart from on the drag strip:eek:)
I will be keeping my eye open for a 88bhp VW box as a spare for experimental reasons but will be stripping and beafing it up as needed (+ LSD if I can find one)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

88bhp box has helical gears as a[pposed to the 102 so reduceces load on the box and end casing , only way you find problems is by experementing and overcoming them .

i spent last 2years having problems with gearboxs and plenty of qauife gear sets across the drag strip .

its all about finding the problem and resolving it , all fun and games

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

All good points....Im now starting to search around for a tuner who can do it....any ideas in the southwest....I guess Nozzles and turbo (adapter plate) can be done by any competent mechanic fabricator its just the custom remap...although the complete package would be good I have my eye on RK Engineering I have heard great things about them...........A:A:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

I wonder if i can get me 1.9d to 200bhp lol........

I agree with Blacket, get it done and get yer ass to santa pod for big bang next month. A few of us are putting down times on the quarter mile for a bit of fun.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Morriss why 200bhp?

Have you drove a 155bhp T4 with a reliable 3 years running with zero issues?

Does reliability come into it or can you afford to be replacing broken part after part through the trial and error process?

Good luck, I think you may need some......and very deep pockets.

155bhp PP has been proven tested and works.......my plan is to expand on the great work already done by others....thats what this forum and T4 ownership is all about ....individuality and and takening things to the next level....

Following what shadowmaker has said on various other threads/forums the 2.5 Tdi is capable of 200bhp + without to many reliability issues... if you could have a reliable 200bhp wouldnt you want it? after all you must have wanted more power to have gone down the PP route. Its all trial and error! as for deep pockets well will have to put some overtime in if needed......;) and as for why?....why not?I:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Go for it Morriss, I admire your ambition. :ILU:

When Rake and I created Project Power we also researched other avenues and it came down to the best bhp to £ ratio. Money on mods spent over and above PP does not return anything like as good bhp/£.

You even say yourself:

Following what shadowmaker has said on various other threads/forums the 2.5 Tdi is capable of 200bhp + without too many reliability issues...
Too many issues! That is simply too many in itself, at no time do I want to be breaking down due to my own 'tinkerings'.

Yes shadowmaker has done alot to his T4, he is one man and the video of his strip run was like a clip off James Bond with a crazy amount of smoke. I:

I will read with interest your project and hopefully you won't have to put in too much overtime to replace turbo's £££, gearboxes ££££ and the cheapest of all the clutch ££. I don't think it will be just a case of working a saturday morning on overtime to cover these prices. But good luck all the same. T:

1 - 20 of 581 Posts