VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been so close to clicking on buy this week on the bluebird customs website.

But for some reason i cant make up my mind. The +'s and -'s seem to sit equal.

Firstly, an eber is not an option. Not for that price. And i dont want second hand.

I have a twin slider with a unit behind the the front seats and a JDS spacesaver in the back and at the minute we use an electric fan heater.

Heres the reasons for:

Me and our lass are going away for xmas so we really could do with the heat.

Its neat and looks the part. I don't usually care about resale value but it does add to the overall 'camper conversion'

The 7 day timer and thermostat means we aren't turning it on and off / up and down all night

Its fixed in place so its not something we have to get out and set up (trivial i know)

We wild camp occasionally and go to a lot of shows so we can still use it without hook up

The 7 day timer means i can have the van warm and de-iced ready for me setting off for work at 5.30am in the winter when im on earlies and coming home from work off nights at 6am

Reasons against:

Its a lot of money. Thats not to say it isnt worth it but just short of £500 for heat compared to a £15 fan heater on hook up and one of those little gas camping heaters for around the same price when were at shows or wild camping

yet another thing fixed in place, restricting my already limited storage space. Dont get me wrong, the sub hasn't helped either I:
That said, carrying a gas and an electric heater would take up a similar space

it seems a shame to not get the more expensive one that runs off hook up aswell but this adds an extra £140 ish to the price. (also, does the 7 day timer work with this one?)

It means carrying a lot of gas. I do carry the gas bottle anyway for a 2 ring burner i keep in one of the ammo crates on the roof. And it will be with us at xmas for the gas oven ive got to cook the dinner (thats right, xmas dinner in the van.... wish us luck :eek:)

I really need some advice on this. Has anyone got one fitted? Whats your experiences with them? How about some alternatives?

Any help much appreciated

CHeers, Nick

·
Registered
552 Posts
i fitted one to our first camper and it was great.

much safer than a gas fire, careful those will kill you dead if left on when sleeping.

propex dead simple to fit and blows cool air in the summer nights

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i bought one from bluebird and fitted it straight away BUT we have not used it properly due to the warm weather but looking forward to using it on those frosty camping trips when no hook up is available
steve :ILU:

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
I got one from Just Kampers on their intrest free finance offer, fitted last week, just got to connect gas up, turned in to quite a bit of work 'doing things properly' and making a proper gas locker and moving from rubber hoses to 8mm copper etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
the one i fitted in my firstvan was gas only.

i had no gas locker, my old autohomes conversion didnt have one , just a drop vent.

plumbed it all in 8mm copper with an inline isolator

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
gazhow and big s have fitted propex,easy install,easy to remove too if you sell van.....infact ill buy your propex if you sell it!I:

im in same boat nick,lot of money,but nearly half the price of an eber:*,if i had one fitted id probably do more wildcamping,esp in winter months.big outlay initially,but if you sell after a few years,itd probably only lose £150?:*

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
gazhow and big s have fitted propex,easy install,easy to remove too if you sell van.....infact ill buy your propex if you sell it!I:

im in same boat nick,lot of money,but nearly half the price of an eber:*,if i had one fitted id probably do more wildcamping,esp in winter months.big outlay initially,but if you sell after a few years,itd probably only lose £150?:*
That's why I got mine on the JK 12 months intrest free credit deal, got some rear disks and an oil filter as you have to spend £500 but I wouldn't have got a heater if it hadn't been forvthat offer! T: with the deposit it's under 40 quid a month.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I know what you mean mate. Winter is when we do most of our camping cos the summer is taken up with shows.

·
Registered
772 Posts
wether its an eber or a propex they are the same really i went for the eber imply as i can just switch it on and hate lpg in a van , im a gas engineer by trade and went for the safer fuel .
but still use the fan heater on camp sites

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i fitted an eberspacher this year and its great, it doesnt even enter my head that we could be cold coz i know within 5-10 mins my van will be toasty!T: too toasty sometimes but it is a 3kw heater, i just let it tickover on half heat!! brilliant!

but................. its noisy, and if i were to refit or fit another heater in a campervan it would be definatly a propex, if its a camper you will most probably be carrying the gas bottle anyway, and im pretty sure the propex are quieter than the ebers.

i think you get alot more for your money with a propex and all the heaters,eber,propex etc WILL and DO hold there value!!

go for it mate, you wont regret it!

take some pics when your fitting it too and throw em on ere!T:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the electric and gas propex paid £540 for it, the thermostat keeps the van at constant heat so no need to keep turning on and off we use it on electric more than gas, but we have used it loads on gas too. looked into the 7 day timer but dont really know if it will benefit me really.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the electric and gas propex paid £540 for it, the thermostat keeps the van at constant heat so no need to keep turning on and off we use it on electric more than gas, but we have used it loads on gas too. looked into the 7 day timer but dont really know if it will benefit me really.
£540 is cheap mate, where was that from?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts