1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thank you, can you tell me rough size of the device please?
I want something stealth-ish (not some massive brick) and is the device connected to permanent 12V supply or runs of the batteries?

cheers
jo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got this one and I can vouch for it detecting LPG gas because after I fitted my external tank and connected my internal gas hob it detected a leak which was very slow which I missed after using liquid detection fluid. Don't know about the other gases it claims to detect but I feel pretty confident so far.

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/gas-accessories/50671.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwo4jOBRBmEiwABWNaMQWwjxOzRvUyAXtVeKRQpK4Rb-AOJzTZQQ3w2HkcBAWRs7UJI3UP8BoCEscQAvD_BwE

Ive just got the thing through the door, wired it up to the battery box run through initialization, and sticked it to the car. press test button, all seems ok. run the LPG through the hose, nothing..
bring the hose directly to the sensor...nothing? :eek: WTF? broke seal on the tap, lpg was weeping into the car for about 2 minutes straight guess what? - nothing!:*
brought it to home, put it next to gas hob, run the gas only - intermittent alarm. if I have relied on this one we all be dead. :confused:

very disappointing so far, going to try to get replacement unit but wont hold my breath.

anyone know about reliable unit?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Don't know what to say really.

My experience with the alarm as been positive.
When I first fitted my LPG feed to my smev cooker and tested the pipe couplings with liquid tester fluid I missed a leak that was very slight. When I returned to the van the day after the alarm was sounding which prompted me to test again, so I pulled my fridge back out of my kitchen pod and then that's when I could smell the first sign of gas, tested, found and solved the leak. Also when I was in the van just last week on a cold day with all windows and doors shut I put the gas on to boil some water for a brew and the alarm sounded so opened window and it stopped after a sort while, so could only think that the alarm was carbon monoxide.

Where do you have it fitted in the van, mine is head hight when sleeping on the side of my kitchen pod.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I had one of these (or very similar)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Leak-Detector-Butane-Propane-Detection-Photic-Gas-Safe-Alarm-system-DC-12V-/172843103341?hash=item283e40746d:g:5hkAAOSwNqtZpUc6

Cost quite a bit more I might add. Worked very well until I broke it. Went off with just an cig lighter held about 5cm away after about 10 secs. Even went off when I was driving (with the window open) behind a tractor belching smog.

Which reminds me I must get a new one. Found the green on light very annoying when trying to sleep

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess this is the brick I was talking about above :D
this seems to only do LPG tho, I need CO detection too I think, although CO is only for detection of exhaust I believe and if thats sealed properly that should not be an issue?
what you guys think?

as for led lights, either put the tape over them, or get your missus nail warnish and paint over them so leds become more dim.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right,
spoke to guy in propex and got very sound advice:
he thinks i dont need CO alarm, as burner is sealed unit. so exhaust gases escaping arent really going to happen unless burner is cracked/broken which does not really happen. Also if the exhaust is blocked or partially blocked the heater shut itself off (ive tested this)
and thirdly, for CO there has be be substantial amount for certain time and propex heater does not output that much of the CO.
I never intended to run heater without window open so I pretty sure CO should not be an issue.

So that will leave me with LPG alarm.
what you all think?

ps: we dont cook in van

1 - 11 of 11 Posts