VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling to find the van I want and suspect I’ll need to widen my search by considering a 102bhp kombi instead of a 140.

If I was to get a remap carried out what pros and cons are there to this short and long term?

Do I need to declare to the insurance company and if so is there usually a significant price hike?

Realistically what bhp/ torque am I likely to get out of a 102 bhp( I appreciate it will be different with every vehicle but just ball park figure would be good to know)

Where is reputable on the west coast of Scotland / central Scotland to get this done ?

Many thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,539 Posts
You'll struggle to find a 140, as that was the VR6 PETROL engine!
Germans have a load of 151 2.5TDi engines, but again, rare where you live.

Re-mapping is good (as long as you get a GOOD mapper (avoid Puddle Performance...).
Blank the EGR off, and clean out the pipework.

Insurance companies vary, but YES, you have to inform them if registered a 102 van.
MY insurance in Norway merely states "VW Transporter, less than 150 PS (bhp)"

I have around 145 bhp, and 285Nm torque (which is right on the limit for the auto-box I have!!!!!)

BTW, I drove a 5000 mile round trip to get mine mapped.....by "Puddle"....and then had to drive the same distance to Poland to get the smoke sorted... :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure about the petrol engine?
Seems to be several diesel kombi 140 vans available , just not within my price range.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Only pros as far a remapping goes, so long as you go with the right company. I went with Revo as they write maps that suit each vehicle, with mine being a 5 speed they limit the torque to help preserve the gearbox. I've seen other companies who over a lot more power but the longevity of the engine components will be reduced. Plus these vehicles are not track weapons, I purely got mine mapped as during a trip to Wales I was struggling on steep hills, now she drives so much nicer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As above, go to a trusted outfit or someone with loads of feedback on forums- they are usually enthusiasts who started on their quest of modding path and learned a thing or two along the years. Try and get someone that understands how an engine works and not a spotty kid that knows to use a hex editor ! Many places are using generic remaps, which are fine as they've been developed by a pro running team on a specific engine/model- usually on a dyno with many hours of test and developments- nothing wrong with a generic remap however go for a pro if you add in the mix things like bigger nozzles, custom/hybrid turbochargers, 4 bar Map sensors or better flow manifolds as these ingredients need complicate scaling up/down in order to keep a good Lambda mix and EGT in check so neither the turbo or the motor suffer... Add a boost gauge and a EGT probe/sensor as soon as you can, once you have them you can safely keep tabs on your engine behavior and possibly save your engine in the long run...Also note that many of these hybrid turbos are poorly set up for their intended application, even if they check on a test bench they usually need fine tuning on your particular engine so a EGT/EMP probe can help with stop screw settings on a VNT turbo although this is better left alone and not to be tampered with 95% of the time...Do your research and you'll be on safe hands !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts