VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.....Here we go again! Didn't think that I would be doing another build thread.I:

When the opportunity arose, to purchase a T4 trailer, I was a little bit dubious. The wife on the other hand, was talking me into it.:* Normally, it is me trying to talk her into why I should buy something off another forum member, but this time, the role was reversed.:eek:

So after a couple of phone calls, to Colin, (Oxford T5) an agreement was made to buy, subject to viewing.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188088&highlight=trailer

So, on the 21st May, myself and a friend set off on a little road trip to Oxford, end up towing half of a van, back to sunny Torbay!:D

It has been stored on my fathers drive for a couple of weeks, as we had Wurzle Dubs booked, and were using the teardrop trailer for it. So this morning, the teardrop has gone to storage until somebodys buy's it:( :( :( and the T4 one has taken it's place in my workshop. (tight fitI:)

As you can see, from the pictures, I cannot take any credit for the van being turned into a trailer, all the hard work of welding and fabricating has been done by somebody else, although I have a lot of work to do, both on the outside and inside. But I basically have a blank canvas, to start from, and will keep this thread updated as I progress.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how many vans were used to make that ,have fun mate and ill look forward to seeing it come along
The barn doors that have made up the front are different, the rest is one van, sprayed different colours. Started as a red van, was going to be sprayed orange!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Congrats on U`r new purchase, it really looks sound & like an ideal blank canvas :)
Having seen what U did to the teardrop makes me certain that this new project surely will stand out too A:
Seen the "kit" ind interior many put into their vans on here sure would be an inspiration if the T4-Trailer should go into camping mode :cool:
I know the Q has been asked many times, but I will alow myself to post again I:
Do U have any idea of how it weights in now as a bare shell & what is the current load on the hitch?
Taking the position of the axle into consideration I take it it is nose heavy & any kit added in front of the axle may contribute to this
Are U keeping the fuel filler for anything fancy as filling for a internal water tank or electric hook up?

Please keep posting as such projects are a trill to many of us on here
BIG T:T: from me:)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Oh Dave now i have bad thoughts in my head, do you think our teardrops would sell as a pair? How does it tow? Whats the nose weight like?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi bud that's a good looking trailer I did try to buy it the first time it came up for sale before I started on are one would have bin a lot easier good luck with it and if you need any help give us a shout and if I can help I will can't wait to see all the trailers in a line up :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cheers for the comments guy's. It will be a slow buildI: but I have so many ideas running through my head it hurtsLOL:

As for the nose weight, it is quite heavy at the moment, but have got several plans to overcome this!:D It tows really well, towed it back from Oxford, and hardly knew it was there!

A line up would be cool, I saw the red T4 van & trailer on the M5 northbound the other day.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With big thanks to our good friend, Keef of the chipster type, and his photoshop wizardry skills, this is roughly what I am aiming for, look wise!!!!A: :D A: :D A:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Ha ha ha, I've just noticed it looks like the tow ball is on the side of your van, forgot to trim that bit off LOL:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Wow Dave, thought for a minute you had finished it, must have been the fastest build ever (unless your Shawy).

Nice photoshop work KeefT:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Wow Dave, thought for a minute you had finished it, must have been the fastest build ever (unless your Shawy).

It took some colouring in and was a pig to stay in the lines :)

Me n my crayons :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wish I had finished it, I might be able to get some sleep, and stop thinking about how I am going to do this and that, in the wee small hours!!I: :eek:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right then, here we go!!I: Spent a couple of hours yesterday ordering parts.:D I have ordered 2 fiamma roof vents, for the ventilation side of things:cool: and a load of different bits for the brakes, lights etc.

Then had a couple of hours spare, so made a start on the filling!! LOL: LOL: LOL: LOL: LOL:

Think I may have to buy some shares in the company U-pol!I:

This morning saw me taking a little trip to the local electrical wholesalers, to purchase the stuff needed for the electric hookup side of things.

I then turned my attention to the sliding door rail, which somene had sprayed black, very badly I might add, so I attacked it with some nitromors, and 2 hours later, a nice shiny silver one again:D, coupled with a lot of fiddling around adjusting the door to close properly!:eek:

Whilst I was waiting for the nitromors to work it's magic, I was fiddling with the rear lights, getting them ready for when the parts turn up, I can wire them up to work as normal but through the 12'N' socket, if that makes sense!!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look what Mr Postman brought me today, looks like I will be cutting holes in the roof soon.:D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been bust again today, more filling and sanding, x loads. Getting bored of it nowI:

Crawled under neath and had a bit of a weight shedding moment aswell, losing everything that is not needed.:D Like the brakes weight adjuster thingy, exhaust heat shields.T:

Then I had a moment with the angle grinder, and look what happened.:eek: :eek: :eek:

But it happened twice.I:

Measured it about eleventy seven times before cutting.

Just placed the vent in situ, to check.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Brave man cutting the roof, I want one of those in the teardrop but haven't got the balls to do it!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brave man cutting the roof, I want one of those in the teardrop but haven't got the balls to do it!
I did exactly the same in my teardrop mate, finished it, then decided it needed ventilation. I must have measured a thousand times before I cut the roof!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

This was a bit easier, as everything is bare, and not finished:D

1 - 20 of 108 Posts