VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new member. I'm not an owner of a T4 or T5 but am intending to buy one before June. I don't even have the cash, so the purchase will be loan financed. Hence why I dont want to rush into this. Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I'm a mid30s guy with no internet savvyness. I was interested in members opinions on how sellers seem to value their vehicle.

I'm used to cars. The idea of spending 10k on a van that's done 150k miles f-----g scares me to be honest, the most i've ever bought a car for is 3k. Yes. I'm THAT new to VW-life. Proper fresh off the boat.

I see ones I like and have tried to like map them out on paper you know to see how people quantify value of engine size / type, mileage, features inside van, general condition etc... and I see wild variances in how people value their vehicle. I have been reading your site for months from afar and with anything its the case you get what you pay for right? But, a 2003 t4, at 10-12k....

I'm not looking for responses saying DO IT, as i know i should. This would be my main vehicle and the weekend option would literally change my life. That alone is a major DO IT. It seems people get their first, almost like a girlfriend, and over time move on to another and another, clearly showing how good T4s t5s are. Me though, i want the right one first time! So am looking to take a loan. Have two old cars worth max 3k total that I'll sell if i do this and looking to sell house later in year, pay off van loan.

Thanks for reading guys. Sat looking out the window at work think f--- this.

Really sorry the way I have posted this, I'm not a forum type person so I'll learn. Hello all, but please my rambling should come to a point! Please would it be possible for someone to assess a link if i share it via private message? As i think i have found a dream one for me and i dont want to advertise it on here risking someone else competing to buy if its not linked here, i also think the van might be known on here im not sure. Yes, i realise how pathetically shy (PARANOID):( that is. Are there any active members on here who have two mins to kindly give their opinion on if a t4 i have the link for is a rip off or not? I would be forever in your debt! not like morgan freeman though in that robin hood film with kevin costner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pedro

I clicked on your profile, professional gigolo. 10k might be too steep for a t4 with ahem worn suspension. I'm gonna fire this link to you now Pedro. Your opinion on the price is appreciated His Great Gigoloness

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I reckon most folk on here will fully understand what your feelings are , about this ..!! Yes , prices can look mental sometimes , when compared to the value of most cars , age , mileage , etc. However , a lot of money , time and effort has gone into many of these vehicles , and the price can reflect that ..!! Unconverted vans do come up from time to time that still are realistic , though , and many are driving ....works in progress ... having bought a solid base to start with ..!! It may be that to ease your financial commitment , that may be a less worrying route ?? Most cant afford a fully converted ..turnkey.. and improve the vehicle as time , and finance allows .....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Convert as you go, that's what I've done and although have been outside of my comfort zone with a few DIY bits I've really enjoyed owning the T4.

I could never afford a converted one but now I'm seeing it as I'm making it my own by doing the work, adding my touches which means the van is mine and not the same as another.

LOVE IT!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Hi Korben.

Prices for T4s will vary tremendously because there is so much variation in build and fit out. If you are buying a professional camper conversion from a recognised company, then £10k is low-to-mid end I would think. If you are looking at a decent DIY conversion, then I would think £10K is top-end. All depends what you want to be able to do with the van and if you are looking to do any conversion/updating to your purchase yourself?

I would pass on two bits of advice ....

1) The purchase price is just the start, and make sure you have sufficient funds for maintenance .... T4s are anywhere between 10 and 24 (I think?) and ANY vehicle of that age will have bits breaking you or the most honest of sellers would not expect, so check service history, etc, but also have a repair fund.
2) Lots of scammers out there on eBay, Autotrader, Gumtree and other places that will be offering a vehicle perfect for you at a price you will really like .... Those vehicles don't exist, except on the REAL owners driveways. Don't be fooled and don't buy anything or put ANY deposit down without checking the vehicle, no matter what reassurance or "paypal protection" is offered.

Out of curiosity, I'll have a look at the link you have if you PM me, but I am no expert on prices in anyway whatsoever

Good luck, and also check out the classifieds here - probably as honest a place to see ones for sale as you could expect to find on the Internet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello all

right 1- thanks i never expected quick replies, thanks thanks thanks,
2- cheers guys im happy with the replies ive got so far lemme just go through a couple now but thanks guys thats the info i was looking for cheers!

and big thumbs up to what clearly is friendly community website. cheers, hopefully in time, its me saying to fresh off the boat newbies some useful tips. THANKS

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just as abit of insight into mine....

I bought mine £4500, was a basic panel van, not cleaned, but had a service, and all the receipts from new...
When i bought it, the seller put in a window for me, and i think that added the £500 to the price

since then it has been converted to a day van, no sinks, hobs etc, just a 3/4 R&R bed (Rock and Roll) with a home made bench down one side, making an L-shaped seating set up, but once the bed is pulled out, it becomes a full width bed.

the best part about these vans, is you do exactly what you want to it to meet your needs, im in no shape or form a pro at DIY, but its the fun of creating your own van, mine is used as a daily driver, and i bloody love it....

:D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That seems like a huge amount of money for a van, to me it shouts 'tarted up and overpriced from a dealer', although I havent looked at the van in question. If I was looking to buy a van that was fully converted I would probably be looking to spend about £6k from a forum member who had decided to move onto newer things, or was getting wife/gf pressure to sell.

Make sure you keep some funds back to replace stuff on the van - unless you have documented service history, assume it needs a cambelt, and major service, then stuff might break over the next few months - although my van has been very reliable, everything I've done on it was because I wanted to change it, not because it needed it.

I was in the same position as you when I bought my T4 3 years ago, so I was refusing to spend more than £1500 - I got a 250k, factory black petrol van for £800 :) My priority was really tidy bodywork, as thats expensive to fix, and its got almost no rust. Since then I've built a prototype interior for a few hundred quid - I decided to live with the van for a year or so and see how much I liked it and figured my requirements might be different to what I thought they were. At some point soon I'll rip the interior out and start again, but right now its sunny, so I want to go use it instead :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is an absolute stunner for sale near to where I live :ILU:. It's up for £5.9k and, is white with some (tasteful) black graphics.
I cant believe it is still for sale but, I could go check it out for you if you're interested T:. Good luck with whatever you decide mate.:)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My van is a keeper, so I'm not looking to buy. Far foo much, effort ,work etc gone into it to ever sell. And there is still loads go do!!! I'm no expert, but I'll happily take a look at the van your interested in..

·
Registered
291 Posts
My opinion ,don't bother and buy something else ,

You could buy much newer and better for 10k

2mins in the classified on here and I see a 1998 van for 11 grand Thats a 16 year old van ,and a rusty pos that the guy said 3.5k is not enough,

I am afraid some people have a screw loose ,and I personally when I decide to sell my t4 will not be buying another ,or a t5 , overrated and overpriced

1 - 14 of 14 Posts