VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if any of you guys had experience of a claim or rules of cover ??

I am declared as a carpenter (self employed)

When for example I am fitting a kitchen I would often pipe up a sink unit or when in a bathroom may move a wc or reconnect a bath waste as well as a bit of plastering and tiling

Is this sort of activity within my cover ?
The whole insurance seems very vague and I'm really not sure whats covered

The insurance girl suggested that if you did your job incorrectly you would not be covered and an assesor would decide
So for example is fixing a floorboard down and going throughg a pipe an example of not doing your job correctly

Has anyone had reason to make a claim ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't really understand why a post like this dissapears out of sight.

Or do I understand the system

Is it because the moderators consider it to be of little interest and yet I have read all sorts of unrealated VW stuff from advise on boilers to domestic electrics

I put it in the right section

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I'm no insurance expert, but what I do know is that insurance companies aren't in business for our benefit, they're in business to make money. Therefore they won't pay out a penny if they can find good reason not to. If they can find evidence of shoddy workmanship on your plumbing & you flood someone's house, they'll drop you like a hot brick. If you know your plumbing and are good at what you do, I can't see a problem.

It's a different matter with gas & electrics. Get these wrong and you may end up facing a manslaughter charge.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Alan, wise words.
I always retain my identity as a carpenter but these days you have to diversify and there appears to be no cover for a multi tradesman with the exeption of anything to do with gas and only minor electrical jobs.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I pay public liability insurance even though I repair PC's for a living. I'm qualified to do electrical stuff, but tend not to unless it's part of a job, so I see the insurance for what it is. A cost that I could probably do without, but can't afford to be without.

If I ever need to claim, I will expect to get paid without question.

Should I get screwed over by some jobsworth in the claims prevention department, there will be a good chance that you will see me on crimewatch.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I wondered if any of you guys had experience of a claim or rules of cover ??

I am declared as a carpenter (self employed)

When for example I am fitting a kitchen I would often pipe up a sink unit or when in a bathroom may move a wc or reconnect a bath waste as well as a bit of plastering and tiling

Is this sort of activity within my cover ?
The whole insurance seems very vague and I'm really not sure whats covered

The insurance girl suggested that if you did your job incorrectly you would not be covered and an assesor would decide
So for example is fixing a floorboard down and going throughg a pipe an example of not doing your job correctly

Has anyone had reason to make a claim ?
Just sent you a PM :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I`ve got my public liability and work van insured through A-Plan and find them very professional , asked relevant question concerning my business and were spot on . regards langley

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaah.... no problem
as an indentured carpenter with 30 years experience and a Licentuate of the chartered institute of builders having worked for years as a building inspector with a local authority

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
and be advised that if you offer your services in a trade you are holding yourself out to be adequately qualified to do the job...
I had a very long (several months over many pints) argument with a mate of mine over this many years ago. He called me a cowboy for starting a business repairing computers without the "Right" qualifications. I pointed out that he was building houses without any qualifications and that being taught by his Dad "on the job" was not the same as a spending time at college learning building skills. He said college was pointless and learning on the job was more important. I said if I f***ed up someone's computer, it won't collapse on them and kill them. We still haven't agreed.

How do you define qualified? A certificate from a college, or many years doing the job?

To put things in perspective, there are a whole bunch of completely unqualified, untrained people in the Houses of Parliament on both sides. They cost us all a lot of money and peoples lives depend on them.

Why are they not subject to liability insurance?

Or would the premiums be too high?

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
I don't really understand why a post like this dissapears out of sight.

Or do I understand the system

Is it because the moderators consider it to be of little interest and yet I have read all sorts of unrealated VW stuff from advise on boilers to domestic electrics

I put it in the right section

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, the only reason it would move down the list is if members reply to other threads in the pub section AND no one replies to it :*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts