VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm in the process of fitting the ghost lights in the bottom of the door with the vw logo. I done the passenger side by joining into the wires to the interior lights behind the window pillar . I don't know where to wire the drivers side to. I've checked the threads on this but they don't seam to answer my questions.

1. Have I done the right thing by cutting into and joining onto the interior light feed- passenger side - seams to work ok

2. Which wires do I join into for drivers side?

Thanks. Hope someone can help!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You don't actually need to bring the wires for puddle lights outside of the actual doors as you can wire into the red/white cables from the electric windows in each door, and then the brown & brown/black earthed switch cables from the central locking units also in the driver and passenger doors respectively.

This means they will come on and go off irrespective of what the interior lights are doing and are not part of the 90 sec "staying on feature when the doors are closed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't actually need to bring the wires for puddle lights outside of the actual doors as you can wire into the red/white cables from the electric windows in each door, and then the brown & brown/black earthed switch cables from the central locking units also in the driver and passenger doors respectively.

This means they will come on and go off irrespective of what the interior lights are doing and are not part of the 90 sec "staying on feature when the doors are closed.
I tried that but I don't have those colour wires in the door as I don't have electric windows.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I tried that but I don't have those colour wires in the door as I don't have electric windows.

Ah well, fair enough, I do know that there is a coupling station behind the end of dash panel on the passenger side that the interior lights circuits runs through, I cant remember if its a similar set up on the drivers ide , I doubt it as the wiring for the interior lights runs up the passenger side A pillar. But you could have a look for the same colour wires on the driver side coupling station.

I think I have seen others with the same issue and they have had to run the wires across from the passenger side coupling station to the driver door for their puddle lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi, I know that this post is pretty old, but hopefully you could help me? I have wired my puddle lights as you said but they're not going off. After a couple of hours the lights themselves are getting pretty hot! would it be ok to leave them permanently on? I REALLY don't want to set fire to my new van!

Its a T5.1 if that makes the wire colours any different? I'd really just love to know how the van knows when the door is closed to switch of the interior light. If I knew that I could splice the wire at the source.
I'd appreciate any help anyone could give!

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You need to disconnect them until you get it sorted. They will burn out quite rapidly and there is always a risk of fire at those temperatures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks guys, I've joined to the footwell lights in all the others I've done but my T5 doesn't have them?! Passenger side is done however. +ve to the thick red/white wire and -ve to the brown/black. I checked after 30 mins and its not getting hot so must be switching off when the door shuts! Drivers side however does not have the same brown/black earth wire! (they don't make it easy do they!). I'm in the process of connecting a wire and leaving it a while before checking whether it gets hot. Will keep you posted!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok. So far so good. In the passenger side there are two brown wires. The second one I tried seems to do the job. Light is not getting hot after leaving van with doors closed and locked for 30 mins.
If the van is a burnt out wreck in the morning I'll let you know. T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok. So far so good. In the passenger side there are two brown wires. The second one I tried seems to do the job. Light is not getting hot after leaving van with doors closed and locked for 30 mins.
If the van is a burnt out wreck in the morning I'll let you know. T:
Sorry, that should say Drivers side.

Still no fires so I think all is good. To recap:

Drivers Side: Red wire from lights goes to the Thick Red/White wire and Black goes to thinner brown wire (there's two so you'll have to check)
Passenger side: Red wire to same red/white wire and Black wire to brown/black wire.

Lights will then go off when the doors are closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey I'm trying to put puddle lights in but, have them so there are coming on and off when they should but .... there flickering how can i stop this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, that should say Drivers side.

Still no fires so I think all is good. To recap:

Drivers Side: Red wire from lights goes to the Thick Red/White wire and Black goes to thinner brown wire (there's two so you'll have to check)
Passenger side: Red wire to same red/white wire and Black wire to brown/black wire.

Lights will then go off when the doors are closed.

I’ve followed this for my T5.1 and have the same wires but when I close the door the puddle light just goes dim and doesn’t turn off. How did you resolve that pls?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I’ve followed this for my T5.1 and have the same wires but when I close the door the puddle light just goes dim and doesn’t turn off. How did you resolve that pls?

Many thanks.
Use proper spec LED's (canbus, resistor etc) theres enough voltage and current left energising the circuit to illuminate them vs incandescant bullbs which have higher power requirement.

People really ought to learn properly about electrical work before just having a go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts