VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my previous van, I attached all the panels to the sidewalls using domestic self tapping screws, but it was a nightmare task, with broken screws and oversized holes:confused: Although I don't intend fitting cupboards etc, I may fit shelves, speakers and decor items, but nothing too heavy.

So, what screws do you recommend?
Do you pre drill the holes?
What supplier do you recommend?

I also want to fit a roof mounted tv. I am considering bonding a thick piece of ply to the roof skin with Sikaflex, then attaching the tv to this.

Is this going to be strong enough?
Do I need to secure the ply plate to the roof some other way?
Will Sikaflex withstand out side temps in excess of 40 degrees Celsius in southern Spain?

Those who have, how do you power, cool and protect from vibration an XBOX 360?

I want a large (15" - 22"), folding roof mounted tv, with DVD / BluRay and XBOX, all out putting through an amp into my in car stereo system which I hope will have 2x10" subs, 4 6x9s and component dash speakers. The speakers will be need to be switchable to enable being turned off if not required.

I am also considering attaching my floor using battens bonded to the van floor with Sikaflex and insulated between.

Is this a reasonable idea?

Finally, when I did my old van, lots of people were using a floor board material which was some sort of hardened ply/ resin which had a hard, coloured exterior. Do you guys still use this instead of ply, where do you get it?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For really secure sidewall fixings, you could use 'riv nuts'. These are a type of blind rivet which has a thread down the centre. You drill a hole which lines up in the sidewall board and the van. You put the riv nut in the van structure, then you can put a large headed bolt/screw through the panel to attach it to the wall.
Look at this ebay link.
Most people use drywall/plasterboard screws. Do not drill a pilot hole, and do not over torque them, and they should self tap into the van structure without pulling through.

For a roof mounted tv, plywood stuck with sikaflex will be more than strong enough, and will withstand spanish temperatures (have your windows ever fell out in the heat? They are held in with Sikaflex, or its equivalent)
If you get a reasonable quality DVD equipped head unit, it will have an output for a second monitor (your roof mounted flip down screen) and an input for an external device (such as an XBOX). A lot will even come with built in connections for external amps (or even decent quality built in ones). An external amp will have a power switch on it so that you can switch it on and off when required. You could leave some small speakers connected directly to the head unit (e.g. your dash speakers), and an external screen will typically have built in speakers which will get their signal from the head unit output.

As for floor attachment, why not get a single piece of material (12mm marine ply or Buffalo board or similar water resistant ply is the best in my opinion) and make the floor in one piece. That way you could use the factory tie down points in your van floor to bolt down the floor. With 12mm ply, the bolt heads can be recessed so they do not show once you have the vinyl down, and it saves putting glue and batons on the floor.
You would need an oversized sheet of ply though, 8 ft by 5 ft if i remember right. This is usually a special order item and could be pricy, but weigh it against the cost of all the extra material you would need if you put batons in.
I am not convinced that floor insulation has that much effect on the van (either with heat loss or with sound proofing) and you could still lay a thin layer of thermal bubble wrap under the ply. If it is road noise you are trying to stop, laying a large sheet of ply on the steel floor will block all the resonance you would otherwise experience. I would focus soundproofing energies on the rear wheel arches (which are really really loud when uninsulated) and the front door skins. You will get the most road nouse coming through these areas (because they are single skinned and un-corrugated, unlike the corrugated floor)

As for the other material you are looking for, im afraid i dont know of it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, top advice. I haven't sourced a head unit yet.

As for the floor, I am trying to stop road noise as a round trip of 350 miles yesterday left me nearly deaf! :eek: I'll have a look at thicker ply. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts