VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some sharron 16" steels that i am going to have banded too 9" front and 9.5" rear the offset is 53 and was thinking 225/55
allround giving the same rolling size . i have had a mock up with the wheels on and a measure and think it looks like it will work and clear the side door with no spacer , it looks like the rim will be dead level with the outer edge of the arch or just past slightly , just wondered if you guys in the know agree so i can go for it with confidence T:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
a 9.5j banded steel on the rear will never clear the door without a spacer mate..

a 6j rim taken to 9.5j is a 3.5inch band..thats about 88.9mm...how it works is half that so about 44mm away form your existing et...

so that works out at roughly et 9 on your existing rim...

so 9.5j et9...if you can get them on without spacing i would be very surprised...could be wrong though...:ILU:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
no they wont go on.... Well they will because nothing is impossible :ILU:
Im only 9J et14 and i have literally 1mm to get my door past the wheel lol, you will need a spacer without a doubt T:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
a 9.5j banded steel on the rear will never clear the door without a spacer mate..

a 6j rim taken to 9.5j is a 3.5inch band..thats about 88.9mm...how it works is half that so about 44mm away form your existing et...

so that works out at roughly et 9 on your existing rim...

so 9.5j et9...if you can get them on without spacing i would be very surprised...could be wrong though...:ILU:
i am banding the outside edge not the inside . so ET will be same as before 53.....won't it ???? getin confused now

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no they wont go on.... Well they will because nothing is impossible :ILU:
Im only 9J et14 and i have literally 1mm to get my door past the wheel lol, you will need a spacer without a doubt T:
surely if i am et53 at 9.5 and you are et14 on 9's then i have got 39mm left to play with and 1/2 an inch is roughly 12.5mm so i should clear nicely :*

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for replys . am goner be putin them on and re measure now before i get them done H:

·
17,028 Posts
Banding changes the et.

et is the measurement from the centre line of the wheel to the mounting face. As you have widened the rim, the relationship of the mounting face to it has also changed.

The only way the et would stay the same is if you added in two bands of equal width, one to the front of the wheel, and one to the rear.

if you are putting in a 3.5inch band you can only band the wheels in a certain way...

the band has to be put in here on the wheel..

i could be wrong..si.

Although mate if you fit the wheel and measure how much band will go on...measure out 3inchs...dont really matter about the et in reality cuz you can see the wheels will fit...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thanks for replys , i'm goner do just that again this week . Ta

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Spot on Si, as he says, et will change. Only thing that might save you is the doors do move a bit. it will touch but as long as you dont want to drive with the door open you may get away with a bit of felt or summit on the inside of the door and glide over the rim.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your replys . i just re measured up with the steels on and i got it well wrong before . safely i can go 8" front and 8.5" rear . very nearly made a costly mistake , cheersI:

·
17,028 Posts
thanks for your replys . i just re measured up with the steels on and i got it well wrong before . safely i can go 8" front and 8.5" rear . very nearly made a costly mistake , cheersI:
hello mate 9j would fit on the rear but you will have to space the slider...9.5j would also be ok,but again slider door spacing required..

glad you got it sorted..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would love 9 or 9.5 on the back but my van is all insulated and carpet lined , so to get at the nuts to put in a spacer would be more trouble than i want at the mo . the other option at a later date would be band an inch on the inside to get some more FAT on the rear but that would be too costly , i presume double band = double money . would like to do it to the max but sadly not got enough wonga to spare for dads wheel fetish :*

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have my 16" wheels banded to 8" (on the rear) and 7.5" (on the front) .
Put some tires on with size 225/55/16 .

With the 8" wide wheels in the back , i can't even open my sliding door completely anymore (without the spacer for the door) , so for 9" of 9.5" uou defenitly need a spacer !

8" wide on the rear :

sliding gets stuck to the tire , won't open completely :

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have my 16" wheels banded to 8" (on the rear) and 7.5" (on the front) .
Put some tires on with size 225/55/16 .

With the 8" wide wheels in the back , i can't even open my sliding door completely anymore (without the spacer for the door) , so for 9" of 9.5" uou defenitly need a spacer !

8" wide on the rear :

sliding gets stuck to the tire , won't open completely :
who cares if you can't open the door, that looks sweeet!:ILU:

·
17,028 Posts
who cares if you can't open the door, that looks sweeet!:ILU:
exactly mate....looks sweeet so live with opening the rear doors...

anything over 9j really with a et of 35 and less you will pretty much have to spce your sliding door...

i have a set of 10j rear banded to go on mine....waiting on a rsl slider wedge from germany,as the spacers for my 9j et15 rear rims aint going to cut the mustard...:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts