VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 3880 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,861
are we allowed to get excited yet...i've all but given up driving at night... with my T(4) lights and new LED technology on new cars i can barely see a thing...these really are going to be a life saver :) awesome work as ever mon ami ;-)💓
You can get excited all you want Dave over the prototypes ........................ which means you'll probably end up having an orgasm when you see the quad lights finished! :)

Driving at night, yeah! ................ same as you mate, when I lived in Jersey a few years ago I ended up only driving at night when absolutely necessary. Some people may think that investing in a decent pair of headlights an unnecessary purchase, but don't actually think about those early winter morning when it's still dark at 7:00AM.
You may recall I told the story a few years when I almost killed that guy on his unlit pushbike, on my way to work early one the morning. I had my aftermarket headlights on at the time, they so poor I really couldn't see the road up ahead, he having no lights on his bike and clad all in black! ............... he almost ended up under my van.

I swore to myself I would never put myself in that position again, we have to protect those sorts of idiots! Just imagine how you would feel ............... a guy and his pushbike wedged under your lowered van? Does't bare thinking about! :sick:

Anyway, started modifying the headlight mounting brackets, will be at it all today ................... and no doubt the rest of the week as well! :)(y)

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,905 Posts
You can get excited all you want Dave over the prototypes ........................ which means you'll probably end up having an orgasm when you see the quad lights finished! :)

Driving at night, yeah! ................ same as you mate, when I lived in Jersey a few years ago I ended up only driving at night when absolutely necessary. Some people may think that investing in a decent pair of headlights an unnecessary purchase, but don't actually think about those early winter morning when it's still dark at 7:00AM.
You may recall I told the story a few years when I almost killed that guy on his unlit pushbike, on my way to work early one the morning. I had my aftermarket headlights on at the time, they so poor I really couldn't see the road up ahead, he having no lights on his bike and clad all in black! ............... he almost ended up under my van.

I swore to myself I would never put myself in that position again, we have to protect those sorts of idiots! Just imagine how you would feel ............... a guy and his pushbike wedged under your lowered van? Does't bare thinking about! :sick:

Anyway, started modifying the headlight mounting brackets, will be at it all today ................... and no doubt the rest of the week as well! :)(y)

TURK
think about those early winter morning when it's still dark at 7:00AM.

SEVEN am.....it's still dark at 11 am here!!!!
Dark again at 3pm this time of year!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,864
Woohoo!!! ....................... we just reached 500,000 thread views :) (y)

I know that may not be of any significant interest to you guys, but to me that's invaluable information. I knew this quad headlight project was going to be popular, but I never thought it would be as popular as it's turned out to be! I treat these figures as 'Market research', as product prototyping and product designer ( terms used very loosely ), this entire project has been a learning experience for me. So, it's refreshing to know that I haven't wasted all my time :)

I'm currently working on the headlight mounting brackets, not a re-design but just fine tuning the tooling plugs to facilitate the production process.

Many thanks to you all and see you all in the next update ;)

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,866
I've stuck my neck out so many times now mate and said that they should be ready by ............... whatever it was at the time, a couple of months, just before the winter or even they'll be ready by Christmas! And I've been wrong so many times, and no doubt annoyed quite a few members who are eagerly awaiting these. Just when I think we're just about there, I discover something that needs to be done, and it usually turns out to be something that can not be ignored if we're to have a truly good product. 'Fine tuning' is really a misnomer, a couple of millimetres off here, adding a millimetre or two there, is essentially a re-design, and usually takes ages.

I'm currently working on the headlight mounting brackets as I mentioned yesterday, but I'm also working on the headlight covers, they obviously need to be modified as the vacuum former can't achieve the form required. Which can only mean I've got my draft angles wrong! It's amazing how a 2° or 3° draft angle can make such a difference.

What I can say though mate, and I'm sure you speak for everyone needing to know ...................... It can't be more than 2 or 3 months away, for the final prototype.

I've got a set of the 'Classic' range on my van at the moment, about a week now and no signs of things failing, no vibrations and they perform very well :) (y)
By far the best headlights I've had on my van Lulu, ever! In fact, on all my T4's as I'm on my 3rd now. Lulu the last 12 years.

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,905 Posts
Sounds like a gloomy place mate :( I hear up north they can have 24 hours of daylight!
It's "confusing" here in summer!
It gets "dark" at midnight, by 1am it's light again.
Really throws the head out if working outside.
Many times I've been outside, doing something, and suddenly realise it's 11pm, and I haven't eaten yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Liking the look of these Turk.
To save me scrolling through 193 pages a quick question please.
Available for long nose LHD 2002 2.5? (I'm up in Brittany, 29)
Cheers.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,869
Ah, Le Finistère (29) I know it well as my mother is from Pontivy ...................... nice neck of the woods where you live mate :)

To answer your question Phil, yes, the Quad Headlight system will be available for the long nose also ;)(y)

The low beam units I'm going to use are totally different though, as I'll be using the Hella 120mm 'Performance series'. The smaller 90mm high beam units will also be the 'Performance' series, both using the more powerful H1 bulbs, as opposed to the H7 bulbs that you get in the 'Classic' range. No worries when it comes to LHD/RHD traffic either mate, as these units are designed for 'Tourist Solution' so are switchable from RHD to LHD. Switching them over takes less than 5 minutes! >>

Amongst some others that I have in stock. Those Hella 120mm units are awesome! They're much larger than they appear in the photos, and weigh a fair bit as well. The build quality is also superb, it's what we've come to expect from a German manufactured product >>

I'm still at the prototyping stage with those ............... due to the amount of issues I'm currently having with the short nose version, the long nose version was put on hold for a while. I was going to use pretty much the same approach that I'm using for the short nose version of the headlights, but after spending many many months trying to make the long nose version 'work', the design just wasn't panning out!? A whole new approach is needed for these. I can't use ABS for the construction of these, so I'll have to use galvanised steel ............. and that means buying-in yet more tools and machinery specifically geared toward sheet steel fabrication.

Thanks for the excellent question Phil, I'm sure many members were wondering.

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,872
It states:
Standardised headlight levellers can be ordered as accessories for low beam headlights.

Does this mean a leveling option "could" be possible?!?!!?
Yeah, I know ..................... but where would you put them!? There's just no room Gaz, I'm struggling to put two 90mm units side-by-side as it is :(
I agree it would be a nice feature to have ( got it my MultiVan ), but as the suspension is pretty hard even with a couple of people in the back, you would hardly notice the difference.

Oh, and still thinking about the LHD/RHD low beam units, and use spots for long range
That certainly is doable mate ;) Whatever units you to choose to buy should fit the 'universal' headlight mounting brackets. That's the distinct advantage of a custom made set of headlights ......... any combination the customer requires will be available! As an example; If you wanted the 'Classic' range of the low beam units to keep the costs down a bit, as they're slightly cheaper, you could then opt for the 'Performance' range for the high beams. The 'Performance' high beams have a range of almost 300 meters, as opposed to the 'Classic' range being 250 meters. If you're a 'townie', changes are that you would rely more on your low beams performance, but in rural areas living out in the sticks as I do, where there's no light pollution, the nights are dark ......... and I mean dark! pitch black!!! And when the roads are smallish twisty back roads, that where a decent set of high beams are really needed. And don't forget, all four units will be ON at the same time as well! So you can clearly see the sides of the road and up to 300 meters up the road, best of both worlds! ;)(y)

I'll go into more detail about your specific requirements mate further down the road. I'll even run some tests for you mate to prove that it's possible ................. but I'm pretty sure you already know that as you're usually quite well informed when it comes to the Hella modular system.

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,905 Posts
Stop reading posts and get back to work.. :whistle:
I'm thinking Performance low beams...4 off...2 LHD, 2 RHD.
There are plenty of LED spot/driving lights available to do the long range part.

Haven't seen the size/shape/mounting for the electric adjusters.....was just a thought (I have them sometimes!).

Oh, and as I no longer do my yearly UK trip, wiring for the lights would be exactly the same as "std", except HIGH would bring on all the dipped units.(y)

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,874
Thanks for the reply Turk.

How about compatibility with my electric height adjustment switch ???
No worries mate ;)

Unlike the short nose version where it wouldn't be possible due to lack of space, the long nose version will have that system (y)
As most long nose versions are usually Caravells or MultiVans, they usually have that option as standard, so I think it's a must to include it in the design. I've already looked into it at great lengths, I'm still uncertain but I'm pretty sure it will be possible. I know that's a contradiction in terms, but without the first prototype complete and fitted to my MultiVan, there's still a very big question mark on that!

Lets hope it's possible ( fingers crossed ).

Just to elaborate - It's an alignment thing, the motors have to fall directly behind the Hella units where you mount them, as they 'plug' into one of the headlight unit' adjuster screws.

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,905 Posts
Yeah, I know ..................... but where would you put them!? There's just no room Gaz, I'm struggling to put two 90mm units side-by-side as it is :(
I agree it would be a nice feature to have ( got it my MultiVan ), but as the suspension is pretty hard even with a couple of people in the back, you would hardly notice the difference.

I'll go into more detail about your specific requirements mate further down the road. I'll even run some tests for you mate to prove that it's possible ................. but I'm pretty sure you already know that as you're usually quite well informed when it comes to the Hella modular system.

TURK
Bowden cables from the adjuster motors to the headlamps adjusters?

I'm not quite as "eccentric" as you, and far less patient, but I'm sure if they make motors, there must be some way to "remote" mount them and couple to the units.
I know you have enough to thing about, but I do enjoy throwing strange ideas into your head now and again. :whistle:

Suspension wise....you mention a couple of people...my only "passenger" is normally our Border Collie....but I put a tonne of "stuff" in the back of mine sometimes!
That drops the rear by 20mm more than it does the front....(YOU work out the angles....but the lights are really high at that point) :oops:

How many counts on the thread so far? (y)

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,876
Bowden cables from the adjuster motors to the headlamps adjusters?
That's an excellent idea Gaz, I like your way of thinking mate (y) I've got some of those tools in my workshop, I actually use one them as a driver to adjust the hex nut adjusters. But can you get them with a male end and female end?

I know you have enough to think about, but I do enjoy throwing strange ideas into your head now and again. :whistle:
My head is always full of strange ideas mate! ..................... :giggle:
Once the final positioning of the low beam unit is confirmed I'll take a look at it again, there are really 2 positions that could serve as the mounting points for the auto-levelling motors, bottom left ( viewed from behind ) would be the original position, but the top right could also serve the same purpose, as the unit would still be able to pivot on the other 2 adjuster screws.

Suspension wise....you mention a couple of people...my only "passenger" is normally our Border Collie....but I put a tonne of "stuff" in the back of mine sometimes!
That drops the rear by 20mm more than it does the front....(YOU work out the angles....but the lights are really high at that point) :oops:
That's a very good point mate, and an obvious one I missed! We often carry heavy cargo's in our vans, many guys even transport motorbikes in the back of their buses.

How many counts on the thread so far? (y)
Just over 502,000 mate ...................... but I've now lost the ability of seeing how many visits daily as the thread count is in increments of 1,000's. It could take as long as a month to 'roll-over' to the next digit! :( Shame really, as that was a valuable marketing tool from my standpoint. Actually seeing the amount of visits ( thread hits ) shows just how popular this thread is, or rather, just how much interest is in a product such as this. Hopefully, VerticalScope will change this 'K' denominator in the future, as it really serves no purpose to me as it is right now.

TURK

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
That's an excellent idea Gaz, I like your way of thinking mate (y) I've got some of those tools in my workshop, I actually use one them as a driver to adjust the hex nut adjusters. But can you get them with a male end and female end?

My head is always full of strange ideas mate! ..................... :giggle:
Once the final positioning of the low beam unit is confirmed I'll take a look at it again, there are really 2 positions that could serve as the mounting points for the auto-levelling motors, bottom left ( viewed from behind ) would be the original position, but the top right could also serve the same purpose, as the unit would still be able to pivot on the other 2 adjuster screws.

That's a very good point mate, and an obvious one I missed! We often carry heavy cargo's in our vans, many guys even transport motorbikes in the back of their buses.

Just over 502,000 mate ...................... but I've now lost the ability of seeing how many visits daily as the thread count is in increments of 1,000's. It could take as long as a month to 'roll-over' to the next digit! :( Shame really, as that was a valuable marketing tool from my standpoint. Actually seeing the amount of visits ( thread hits ) shows just how popular this thread is, or rather, just how much interest is in a product such as this. Hopefully, VerticalScope will change this 'K' denominator in the future, as it really serves no purpose to me as it is right now.

TURK

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Hi Turk,

Very long time since I caught up with you and this project - where has the time go since 2012 (??) when I addend my name to 'The List'.
Hope all is going well for you and the project - have a great new year.

R

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi Turk.

Long time no see. Looks like things are coming on quite well now. Hope your still having fun and learning all sorts of new things.

Thought I would pop in and let you know of an issue I have just encountered with the lights I'm running on Tigger. If this has been covered earlier in this thread then please excuse me.
As you know I fitted my own lights with the modified bonnet and this year at the MOT garage it threw up a small issue. On previous MOTs there were no problems with the lights I added but this year is seems there has been a change. As the van previously had leveling motors fitted to the original lights with the dial next to the light switch, it is a condition in the MOT that if there is a switch to level the lights, they must work. I have had to purchase a new switch without this dial for it to pass.

Just thought this info may be useful to you once you start selling so you can make sure people know or give them an option to purchase a compatible switch. Wouldn't want you to start getting grief from customers once they go to their next MOT with your lovely lights.

All the best and keep on sanding :p

V

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,880
Hi Vince, Welcome back mate :) (y) .................. missed you.
I often read back through some of your posts, you've always been a great help to me on this project, it may appear that I don't always listen to forum members advice in the replies, but trust me, I do ................ this is a learning experience for me, knowledge is gained from people in the know and obviously from putting into practice what people have advised or recommended. It's only through trial and error that we learn things, and I still have a great deal to learn! One thing that I've learned only recently is, "My friend, shrinkage!" as you so appropriately put it in one of your previous posts. What amazes me is the fact that the 'shrinkage ' of the vacuum formed part continues! I knew from various tests ( various materials, heating cycles ) that the plastic parts shrink as they cool, that I was aware of from my tests, but what I didn't know was, the part continues to shrink, even days later!

Hi Turk.

Long time no see. Looks like things are coming on quite well now. Hope your still having fun and learning all sorts of new things.
Thanks mate (y) Yeah, things are really coming together now, and now I'm realising that I've reached what is probably the most difficult part of the entire project. Actually making the parts fit together precisely. And yes, I'm still having fun! ;)

Thought I would pop in and let you know of an issue I have just encountered with the lights I'm running on Tigger. If this has been covered earlier in this thread then please excuse me.
As you know I fitted my own lights with the modified bonnet and this year at the MOT garage it threw up a small issue. On previous MOTs there were no problems with the lights I added but this year is seems there has been a change. As the van previously had leveling motors fitted to the original lights with the dial next to the light switch, it is a condition in the MOT that if there is a switch to level the lights, they must work. I have had to purchase a new switch without this dial for it to pass.

Just thought this info may be useful to you once you start selling so you can make sure people know or give them an option to purchase a compatible switch. Wouldn't want you to start getting grief from customers once they go to their next MOT with your lovely lights.

All the best and keep on sanding :p

V
Excellent information Vince, and something we all aught to take heed of ...................... It's beginning to look as though the UK MOT rules are coming into line with the European regulations. I knew that something like that would cause an issue over here in France as their regulations are so strict, the 'Contrôle Technique' now consists of over 400 checks!!! Anything tampered with, added, removed, modified, faulty, not working and even aftermarket parts not homologated or approved for that particular vehicle will be considered a fail. I've read on many sites now that the vehicle MUST remain as it was intended by the manufacturer, as it came out the factory as it were.

It's obvious that the powers that be, the people who decide what is allowed or acceptable won't allow us to improve our vehicles. Even if the modifications improves safety! That makes no sense to me :unsure:

I think your work-around for solving that issue with the MOT to be the answer, many thanks for the tip (y)

I'll be keeping my original OEM T4 headlights as we'll all have two sets of headlights, so if you're really unsure on MOT day, just put the 'old' ones back in.

TURK

3861 - 3880 of 3880 Posts