VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3892 Posts

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Re: Quad headlight design project grinds to a halt ..... again.

I think it all depends on what you're prepared to pay, safety has no price as far as I'm concerned.
I like to see where I'm going at night ;)
I completely agree.

Keep me updated. T:

I know a guy locally who has a few van's "laying around" ... shout me if you think I can help with any bits.
:ILU:

·
Registered
102 Posts

This is a very interesting thread.. and you get my full respect and in support I'd love it if you could add me to your list to buy a set from you.

Good luck with the build and I'm looking forward to reading all about the progress you make..

good luck mate.
steveT:

·
Registered
898 Posts

About time somebody made a decent set of lights for the T4T:
Liking your skills and stick me on the list:ILU:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Thanks guy's,

I know a guy locally who has a few van's "laying around" ... shout me if you think I can help with any bits.
I shall keep that in mind ..... thanks slimjim T:

stevefarries & alltorque just added you to my Pre-Order list guys ;)

If it continues like this I'll have to quit my day job, and go into full-time production ! :D

I think I'll have to 'cap' the 'Pre-Order' list at 12 I'm afraid :( I'm almost there already !

I wouldn't like to disappoint prospective 'customers'. But I have to be realistic given the spare time I currently have.

I'll keep you all posted with regards to my progress, so watch this space.

TURK

·
Premium Member
357 Posts

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick (which happens :D ), could you make your prototype from 16swg mild steel or even alluminium? That way you can manipulate the bends and folds with basic tools and once you have perfected the fit, ammend your drawings for stainless steel sheets to be laser cut and profiled.

Look good by the way, good efforts matey T:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts

Well done for your effords mate its something we all have been looking for can you put me on your short list please A:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Hi guys,

16swg, 1.6mm equivalent very very hard steel btw, even in it's mild form. Even with basic tooling, bending proved to be a nightmare to work with :(
I'm going to try aluminium for the plates.

There are a couple of reasons why I would like to use the original VW mounting frames. The first one is the actual mounting tabs are already there. All T4's are identicle, no variations.

The second reason is the clip for the indicator position. To duplicate this, is very difficult, as I found out :eek:

It also allows for individuality when it comes to indicator choices. Some people prefer the clear indicators or the smoked ones ( as I have ) or even keep the original orange ones.

Anybody know of a supplier for sheet aluminium, as over here they are asking £38.00 for a 500 x 500 mm sheet.
Just about enough for 2 templates !

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

racman just added you to my Pre-Order list T:

BTW; it's no longer a 'short list' ...... orders are getting very numerous :D

When I get my a$$ in gear, mould for shrouds and jig for templates all in place, I will be in the position to start 'manufacturing these on a smallish scale.

Just be patient ..... this will happen guys :D

TURK

·
Registered
353 Posts

What an interesting thread. I shall be watching this with interest! :) T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

Hi guys,

A couple of you have enquired how I'm going to go about creating the shrouds. And being as we all like pictures :D

I thought I would share my mishap from last year :(

First thing was to find something that would be easy to shape ..... that was easy, I used 'oasis'. The stuff that florists use for flower arranging.
Cut to shape and added my makeshift fibre glass fronts >>

As the Hella headlamps are 90mm in diameter, I had to find something that was around 95mm in diameter. So I went to the supermarket
with my ruler I:

As you can imagine, I got a lot of strange looks, when I began measuring various tins and containers :D Anyway, I found the ideal container ....
a Mash potato can, exactly 95mm in diameter. I was as happy as Larry :D

Next was the placement of the holes for hella units, not exactly high tech, but it worked a treat >>

As I was 'itching' to use my new 'hole cutter' ...... I pushed the can straight through where the headlight units are.
I was totally oblivious of the angle required. That only became apparent the following day, on my make shift van front end that I had drawn out. I could of kicked myself, when I noticed that I had cut the hole at 10 to 2 :( what a nugget ! >>

Now that these shrouds have holes facing outward, I will continue using them, till the final template design. At least I now know, the correct procedure. Once I have the oasis formed correctly, I'll add a few layers of Chavant clay. When that hardens, I'll make my mould. A negative mould, will give you a positive of your final product >>

Oasis in place, as it turns out, I had to move the headlamps closer to one another, as two side-by-side wouldn't fit the aperture in the bulkhead.

I know they look very thick and 'stand proud', I gave myself some extra at the back, as I didn't have the overall measurements of the templates with the units installed at the time >>

On a different note .... This afternoon I managed to find a local steel fabricator that will supply me with 1.5mm aluminium sheets. Quoted me £25.00 - £30.00 a square meter T: don't know what grade it is yet. I'll let you all know tomorrow, when I collect it.

Can't wait for the weekend, when I get cracking again. According to my schedule, I'm 4 months behind schedule :(

TURK

·
Registered
931 Posts

Would you be listing angel eye or even eagle eye rings as an optional extra? They look damn good as they are, but the public tend to like the options ;)

Amazing work there, I think you're really onto something there, watching with keen interest.

So much respect for "diy'ers" and homebuilders, gwan my son! T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Hi all,

Angel eye option will not be an option I'm afraid, As 90mm Hella units would have to be smaller in diameter by at least a centimeter. Personally I would of liked a DRL type headlight arrangement. I think in time Daylight Running Lights will be legislation, most car manufacturers are already incorporating them as standard equipment.

I've always been one for trying new things, so when I have a working prototype, and dispatched a few orders. I'll wait for some feed back, and see if the angel eye option is plausible. Still using the 90mm Hella unit's, I could probably modify the shroud, and incorporate an LED 'light-ring'.

:eek: ...... I can't believe my last statement !

Oh well, maybe you're right ..... remind me in a few months mate :D

Right now, let me concentrate on the basics.

TURK

·
Registered
931 Posts

Oh well, maybe you're right ..... remind me in a few months mate :D

Right now, let me concentrate on the basics.

TURK
I think you should concentrate on whatever you choose to do. It's not juist blind flattery, you've done a really good n positive job so far, cant wait to see your end results even if you do only come out with one set A:

·
Registered
466 Posts

you had better put me down as the number 12 in your list for a set hehehehehe

Ive been watching your thread all day long with Intrigue and interest

Mart

·
Registered
466 Posts

Although............................I have Long nose caravelle, with differnt headlamp apertures I think !!

Mart..........if nothing else its food for thought !!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Hi martboltonuk,

Unfortunately the quad headlights I'm designing are based on my T4 that's a short nose.
I could look into the long nose later this year, but I don't know anyone who's got one :*

If I'm not mistaken, there's already a company that make quad headlights for a long nose.

Sorry mate.

TURK

·
Registered
4,948 Posts

Have you done lots of reserch into the legality of making lights then?

Im presuming there are loads of rules that they must adhere to.
but people "make" lights for kit cars quite a bit (Which is what the Hella kits are for) so there must be a "How too" somewhere that will help.

Very interested in all this :)

·
Registered
925 Posts

After reading your thread i find it very interesting and your doing a great job so i thought i would take a look about to see if there is anything similar to what you are doing and i came across this looks very much like what you are trying to make. May be of use but then again it may not lol T:

Ignore the price as i'm sure you could get these alot cheaper T:

Check it out on eBay!

21 - 40 of 3892 Posts