VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 4205 Posts

·
6,716 Posts
Re: Quad headlight design project grinds to a halt ..... again.

HID is only effective with projector lenses otherwise the dispersal pattern is wrong.

Regarding lamination, are you using vacuum bagging or just laying up manually ?
Not sure if my experience is relevant but I used to build kite boards for a number of years so if I can offer any help in addition to Kel, just let me know.

Cheers

Ron

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·

Hi guys,

Regarding lamination, are you using vacuum bagging or just laying up manually ?
Hi Rake, had to do a little research to answer your question correctly. The term 'laminating' I wasn't aware was actually used to describe what I have been calling 'fiberglassing' for years. Also, had to double check the 'vacuum bagging' technique.

Looks a little complicated to me, also loads of extra kit required. I would like to learn that method further down the road however.
As I can see that I could get much better results, especially on more complex designs.

I did some 'fiberglassing' many years ago, when I was helping out a mate building a dinghy. I can still remember the smell of the resin :D mmmmmmmm Y: we probably sniffed a little too much resin while in his dad's cramped little garage.

I'm still a little confused about the type of glass fiber for best results on small items, with intricate curves. Should I be using a very small weave ?
One thing is for sure, I can not buy any supplies locally. Very few suppliers, and the prices they are asking is ridiculous.
So after many hours on the net, I found these .....

http://www.ecfibreglassingsupplies.co.uk

Their prices seem OK, and theres tons of information and how-to videos.

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·

Cheers Chippy,

That looks like a good one T:

So far none of these suppliers do a great deal in mould making supplies.
I have to begin with designing the mould. I would like to use chavant Y2-Klay.

Anybody know where I can get some at reasonable prices ?

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·

Hi all,

Despite the name of the thread, things are coming along nicely, aluminium is such a great material to work with, so if anybody else wants to have a go at this, I can highly recommend 1050 grade marine aluminium T:

I'm hoping to do a fitting with the new templates at the weekend. I'm also planning on aligning the headlight units using lazers.
Should be fun :D

In previous articles I've used my inimitable logic to try and explain advantages or disadvantages of various technologies used in automotive lighting. You've all probably guessed by now that I'm not a great fan of HID headlights I:

So I was looking for some sort of 'confirmation' of sorts from a reliable source. Have a quick look at the quotes below, I'm sure you'll find them quite interesting. Manufacturers will not let on that HID is overstated as they are in the business of selling a product. But there are certain things the general public aught to know.

In the hands of an independent like Daniel Stern, you get the full lowdown. Like it not, you'll never be able to ignore your headlights again.

Disadvantages of HID

There are physiological disadvantages to HID auto headlamps that do not exist with glowing-filament lamps.

Probably the biggest issue is HID headlamps' significantly worse color rendering index (CRI), which is in the high-60s to low-70s range. Halogen headlamps' CRI tends to be around 90 to 97 or so. In English, this means that the human eye's color perception and differentiation is much, much better under halogen light than under the light produced by automotive HID headlamps.

So it wasn't just my opinion, tungsten lighting is much better at night......

As an illustration of the fact that color temperature does not automatically bear on headlamp quality, consider this: The selective-yellow headlamps required for so many decades in France were shown, in a couple of studies, to improve (or at least not to reduce) driver performance at night.

If you want to read the entire article, you can find it here > http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

Anyway ..... this update has served it's purpose ........ at least we wont fall off the bottom of the page ! ;)

*** Quick question to admin ..... is it possible to change the name of the thread ? ***

*** To .....

*** "Quad Headlight Design Project ........ Update" ***

Many Thanks

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·

Hi jerv1982

Many thanks for your interest in the project ....... I've just added you to the 'Pre-Order List' mate. T:

I'll repost the list in a few days, so you can all see where you come.

Hoping to get some of these out in a few months :D

TURK

·
Registered
224 Posts

Class project chap, loves to see some real manufacturing going on, looking
Forward to some pics of the final piece, and also ordering some !!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·

Oh they will paul20v ...... trust me T::D

I know my capabilities, people who know me know just how slow I work, and how much of a perfectionist I am I:

I'm a trained watch maker. Handling screws and springs you can barely see with the naked eye.
So building something like this is easy-peasy :D

TURK

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

I'm a trained watch maker. Handling screws and springs you can barely see with the naked eye.

TURK
always amazes me do watch builders . my uncle is one and i have never seen such tiny screws , springs and clips . i just break everything been ham fisted LOL:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·

Hi all,

always amazes me do watch builders . my uncle is one and i have never seen such tiny screws , springs and clips . i just break everything been ham fisted
Yeah, must agree with that ...... no longer a watch maker alas ..... my career took a different path unfortunately :(

A keen eye, a steady hand and bucket loads of patience that's all that's required T:

Big weekend coming up .... been working on my templates all week, cutting, filing, shaping ... doing the all important sheet metal bending ( must get my angles spot on ), else, everything will go t1ts up !
If everything goes according to plan, I should be doing a fitting on Sunday T:

I'll post back my progress.

TURK

·
Registered
8,736 Posts

Hi hugabug

*** H.I.D *** = Highly Illegal & Disfunctional

:D

TURK
Got to agree with that, but every week you get some one on the forum asking how to fit them and they don't care if the dazzle anyone as long as they are OK. You can't even convince them that they will be worse than halogens, and then there are the traders ready to pounce that offer their cheap Chinese illegal HID junk to unsuspecting new members (and some old members)

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·

Hi all,

Ref: H.I.D

every week you get some one on the forum asking how to fit them and they don't care if the dazzle anyone as long as they are OK. You can't even convince them that they will be worse than halogens, and then there are the traders ready to pounce that offer their cheap Chinese illegal HID junk to unsuspecting new members
Totally agree with that statement Spanners ...... It's desperation really, I think.
The lengths some people go to, just to get better lighting ..... even risking 3 points on their licence, up to them if they want to chance it :*

Clarkey thanks for the PM mate .... added you here, as I'm using the thread to track orders.
Also, long nose or short nose, and year ?

Go TURK Go!!!
oh, and Russ ... If I wasn't motivated enough, I surely am now .... made me laugh mate LOL:

TURK

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Big weekend coming up .... been working on my templates all week, cutting, filing, shaping ... doing the all important sheet metal bending ( must get my angles spot on ), else, everything will go t1ts up !
If everything goes according to plan, I should be doing a fitting on Sunday T:
VERY exciting! H:

·
Registered
969 Posts

Totally agree with that statement Spanners ...... It's desperation really, I think.
The lengths some people go to, just to get better lighting ..... even risking 3 points on their licence, up to them if they want to chance it :*
Hi TURK,

I've been following this thread with great interest.

I'm worried that I may actually be one of those with HID type head lights. Not entirely sure, as I was on here not so long ago asking how to adjust my lights etc.

How do I know if they're illegal, etc? Is there a particular setting (i.e: certain height/distance they should shine etc).

Any information on this would be useful, as at the moment I can only plead ignorance! :-(

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·

Thanks slimjim ...... LOVE IT LOL:LOL:LOL:

Just a little bit more pressure ? .... nah ! ......... not me, as I now know this is possible :D

As all the other options I tried are either, a major task or having to rely on third parties, this way I can build the entire thing here.
The obvious advantage is, saving costs not having to pay third parties for lazer cutting and profiling ( shaping templates ).

Amnesia180
I'm worried that I may actually be one of those with HID type head lights. Not entirely sure, as I was on here not so long ago asking how to adjust my lights etc.

How do I know if they're illegal, etc? Is there a particular setting (i.e: certain height/distance they should shine etc).
If you've got 'ballasts' powered from the battery, then you have a HID kit fitted. The light being emitted should be quite obvious.
As it will be 'scattered' as opposed the 'focused', a beam of light being projected 70 odd feet in front off your vehicle is what you should be looking at.
If theres no discernible pattern, then the light isn't 'focused'. Imagine what the motorist coming in the opposite direction sees :eek:

HID in T4 headlights are illegal in the UK, period. As the beam pattern is etched in the glass of the headlight. HID kits are designed for projector type headlamps.

Hope that makes sense mate.

TURK

141 - 160 of 4205 Posts