VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am going to be using my multivan to occassionaly take my motorbike on trips, trackdays etc.

I have been looking at different ways of securing the bike in the back of the van, what I really want at the front is a fixed v-shaped guide to wedge the front tyre into.

I had a small brainwave this afternoon, which was to take the rear frame of an old scrap buddy seat, and have a metalwork company cut it off so it's just the quick-release clip, and then weld on the 'V' for the tyre to wedge in to.

I can't see any obvious issues with this, I just wondered what people thought and if there were any other/better/similar ideas??

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if anyone has a single rear-facing buddy seat with the quick release - ideally in a really bad state as it's going to be stripped for the mechanism - let me know!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi all,

I am going to be using my multivan to occassionaly take my motorbike on trips, trackdays etc.

I have been looking at different ways of securing the bike in the back of the van, what I really want at the front is a fixed v-shaped guide to wedge the front tyre into.

I had a small brainwave this afternoon, which was to take the rear frame of an old scrap buddy seat, and have a metalwork company cut it off so it's just the quick-release clip, and then weld on the 'V' for the tyre to wedge in to.

I can't see any obvious issues with this, I just wondered what people thought and if there were any other/better/similar ideas??

Thanks,
Ed
Possibly just use a rear wheel stand (not a fancy paddock stand as the lift arm is probably too long). Strap the rear down to the 4 eyes in the rear floor. At the front possibly use some channel on a wooden base in between the B2B seats (make wood base same width as seat frame gap. And then strap front to existing seat frame ..... allows you to still use the B2B seats at your destination??

Just some quick thoughts, I have moved motorcycles around in vehicles for over 47 years, but never in my Multivan I:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers - yeah there are definitely lots of possibilities but this just feels like a really nice solution. Also the fact that it still uses the quick release means I can just unclip it once the bike is unloaded if I want to use the second buddy seat.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Cheers - yeah there are definitely lots of possibilities but this just feels like a really nice solution. Also the fact that it still uses the quick release means I can just unclip it once the bike is unloaded if I want to use the second buddy seat.
Ed

I know what you are saying and I really don't think there is any harm in having another old B2B seat or seat frame to play with.

Maybe with the seat stripped off even more possibilities will emerge ........ that final light bulb moment is probably just around the corner LOL:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed

I know what you are saying and I really don't think there is any harm in having another old B2B seat or seat frame to play with.

Maybe with the seat stripped off even more possibilities will emerge ........ that final light bulb moment is probably just around the corner LOL:
Here's a question - is that quick release a 'standard' format? I.e. would there be a cheaper solution I could find that would use that quick release without butchering a buddy seat frame?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Here's a question - is that quick release a 'standard' format? I.e. would there be a cheaper solution I could find that would use that quick release without butchering a buddy seat frame?
No that is early Multivan only (nothing else used B2B seats), and later Multivan 2 used swivel central seats on rails.

The problem is Multivan bits are pretty hard to get hold of, and attract premium prices (as doubtless you have seen).

May find a cheap scrappish one on eBay.de ........ the down side then is carriage!!

I'm off now watching GP qualifying MOTO3 just started :D:D:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that is early Multivan only (nothing else used B2B seats), and later Multivan 2 used swivel central seats on rails.

The problem is Multivan bits are pretty hard to get hold of, and attract premium prices (as doubtless you have seen).

May find a cheap scrappish one on eBay.de ........ the down side then is carriage!!

I'm off now watching GP qualifying MOTO3 just started :D:D:D
Good to know, thanks! Yep watching here too A:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts