VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Rock and Roll beds from Cannons Forge and Autobeds, and they roughly come out at the same price.

Has anyone tried both and have a preference of either, or something similar?

I am basically after a bed that it as strong and safe as possible.

thanks

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
hi mate
3/4 deluxe on the lashing down points £330 deliverd
full width on lashing down points £350 deliverd
and if you want with out lashing down points on take off £20
thanks mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you saying that cost is not an issue?

Crash tested seats are probably the safest. I know nothing about them so I'll leave that to others.

I'm a sofabed merchant that doesn't carry rear passengers.
......No cost is an issue!

Sofa bed would be great, but no where to put the kids!

·
Registered
110 Posts
How much are your kids worth? But if cost is an issue I would consider cannons forge as I have read he has at least considered having his bed pull tested which sugests to me that he is reasonably confident in his design and manufacturing. Just make sure it is fitted as securly as possible. Have a look at your drivers and passenger seat taking note of the size and amount of fixings and also if they go into a chassis or reinforced area and do the same with your r&r bed. sorry for any typos but it's getting late an the stella and talisker is taking effectT:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rib all the way if your carrying rear passengers.
Just worry about the durability of non crash tested beds in the event of an accident regarding insurance. If you do not have your seatbelt on and are injured in an accident I believe they dock your injury payout accordingly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
RIB bed is the way forward if you are carrying kids (or any passengers). But if you are not going to install the safety under chassis bracket RIB tell you to manufacture (not supplied by RIB) then you might aswell put a cannons forge in, as this is the nearest thing to a safe bed imo. There is no point spending the extra money on a RIB bed without the chassis bracket made to RIBs dimensions and guage.

Dan

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i no one company who supplied a reimo bed to somebody who was a coded welder himself and sent the bed back because of the poor welding on the seat/bed and he said i aint paying all this money when it was poor but just goes to show that they may certified seat /bed but at least i no my beds are fully welded up and all done by myself and not other individuals T:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll let you all know how mine goes on Friday when Autobeds have finished fitting mine. Fingers crossed I made the right choice. I'm sure I have. No kids in the back though I am having belts fitted. I will post picks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a cannon forge bed with 3 belts, I got my 2.5 re registered as a 6 seater window van ,It was an ordinary panel vanbefore , no extra tax
says window van on log book .
Had to go to testing centre , guy looked over van for 10 mins , remarked on how well the cannon forge bed was fitted , &
Checked the rear seatbelts
No worries & now if the worst happens & god forbid a prang or non fault accident
No problems with insurance , you'll find insurance company's always look for a get out clause & a wrongly registered van is a get out clause
Cheers mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much are your kids worth? But if cost is an issue I would consider cannons forge as I have read he has at least considered having his bed pull tested which sugests to me that he is reasonably confident in his design and manufacturing. Just make sure it is fitted as securly as possible. Have a look at your drivers and passenger seat taking note of the size and amount of fixings and also if they go into a chassis or reinforced area and do the same with your r&r bed. sorry for any typos but it's getting late an the stella and talisker is taking effectT:

Yeah, thanks for the comment about how much kids are worth, that wasn’t my point. Are your opinions based on what you have read, or what you have experienced? From what I understand a crash test and pull test are very different, as is a company being "reasonably confident in their design"

Bugsbouy69 - would be keen to know how you get one and what you think please.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
But will insurance pay out if theres an accident and the seats were not the original seats or a crash-tested alternative ?

Surely insurance will only cover passengers seatbelted in crash-tested seats - otherwise theres nothing stopping everyone just wipping out the backseats of their cars, plonking in a home made sofa or driving people around on an M&S sofa in the back of a ford galaxy.

These R&R that people make are not certified in anyway (happy to be corrected) so no insurance company, DVLA, customer or police officer have any evidence to go on to suggest that they are fit for purpose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi Mate, I'm selling my full width Cannons Forge Rock and Roll bed if you or anyone else is interested?
They are awesome beds, mine is about 18 months old and has worked brilliantly, really solid and well made!
Drop me a PM or email to [email protected] if you want to know more,
Regards,
KristianT:
Thanks mate but I just got back from Autobeds. Well happy with both the service and the bed. Mark went the extra mile fitting it properly for me today. I can only say good things about Autobeds solid, 3 seat belts and welded to a high standard and it looks great in black and white vinyl

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Thanks mate but I just got back from Autobeds. Well happy with both the service and the bed. Mark went the extra mile fitting it properly for me today. I can only say good things about Autobeds solid, 3 seat belts and welded to a high standard and it looks great in black and white vinyl

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Highly recommended.
hi tony thanks for order and great meeting you top guyT:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got my Autobeds 3/4 from Mark last year. Brilliant service. Just looking at the frame, they're really sturdy, more so than the VW front seat bases. I've got total confidence despite there being no crash testing.

I guess crash testing would be prohibitively expensive for a small business, and RIB just pass that cost on to the customer when you buy those seats.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would really recommend autobeds. we have a full length on with 3 seat belts for the kids. Think it was mark at autobeds was so helpful and did it quickly for us as on a time scale.....and then talked my husband through fitting it. The quality is fantastic as the service and have no worries travelling with the kids on it.....and is comfy at night too. hope this helps!!!T:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is there anyone near Hereford with either a cannons forge or an auto bed? i wouldn't mind having a look at one in the flesh before deciding on which way to go.

Here’s my two pennith...... With regard to how safe these seats are in a crash, when I were a lad (not that long ago) seatbelts weren't compulsory in cars and we were all too happy to sit without seatbelts on in tinny death traps, granted a lot of things have changed since then, but I’m not proposing to carry people in the back regularly so not a massive issue for me. Also how do people secure their kitchen's down in the van? I figure that a fully loaded kitchen must weight much more than me, and if not secured down properly could easily become a killer as if smacks into the back of the driver’s seat / passengers.

I’m going for a crash tested pop top as you have to cut out the integrity of the van and replace it with something so don’t mind paying the money there, but £2000+ for a seat is too high for me... :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts