VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my replacement for the Ex-AA T4 I PXed a fw weeks ago.

Public Facebook Album

Seat and Window done by MAD Workshop in Bristol otherwise everything was homegrown. Really like the simplicity of the design and the use of t-nuts to hold the verticals up.

Sadly, we were gonna hit the road this weekend but she's got a No3 Glowplug out so thought I'd get that fixed and her serviced before running her a long way.

One question, am I right to think I can't put a swivel in on the drivers side with the double. There just doesn't look like there is enought room.

Cheers All,

·
Registered
441 Posts
thats really good looking-i guess the cutting out of the ply is to keep it light? great ideas to keep all seating and have plenty of storage space, well wear as we say in ireland A:A:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I've just bought a ex-RAC van pretty much identical to yours - it didn't have the cabinets in the back, but it's still got most of the electrical gubbins inside, and has a nice RAC badge on the front grill!

I've started converting it this weekend - the first task was to get rid of all the surplus wiring, sort out some rattles in the back and then swap in a new stereo. While I was doing all that I came across the leisure battery you mentioned, hidden under the seat. I've been playing around a bit and I've hooked up the stereo so now it has two power feeds - one from the main battery via ignition switch, and another feed direct from the leisure battery so I can listen to music when camping. I can choose between normal main battery (so the radio turns on or off with the ignition), or leisure (permanently on) by flicking one of the original extra dashboard switches that I've reclaimed.

My problem though, is that both batteries seem to be draining together, even when the stereo is just being fed from the leisure battery. Do you know if the battery installation included a split charge unit? I have found a couple of relays, but none seem to be tacking a feed from the alternator (or any other engine running live), and none seem to close/open a circuit to the main battery. I can't even find where the +ve lead goes from the leisure battery as it disapears under the flooring. Any ideas?

Thanks T:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just got 1 of these aswell. I've pulled the inside racking stuff out. Now just thinking about starting to take all the wires out. Not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I took some wires out today. And was wondering wot the 2 boxes were for in the back pass side. I left 1 in think its something todo witth the tow bar. But took the other 1 out as someone had cut half the wires on it. Looks like its got 4 or 5 relay things in on a small circit board.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I P/Xed mine old Team Yellow for this - they aren't cheap but is any good T5 these days.

I left the electrical boces in the rear as I didn't want to mess with anything that could be connect with the ASR.

Why both batteries are draining each other - no idea. Isolate what you've done and make sure its not a mistake you made!

I didn't have a CNC cutter only a very poor jigsaw so up close it doesn't look so tidy but since we did it its been used and works a treat as a layout.

Hapopy Days all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I took some wires out today. And was wondering wot the 2 boxes were for in the back pass side. I left 1 in think its something todo witth the tow bar. But took the other 1 out as someone had cut half the wires on it. Looks like its got 4 or 5 relay things in on a small circit board.
Hi I've played with loads of RAC vans if my memory serves me right the box your refering to is for the lightbar on the roof hence the wires being cut. I can possibly lay my hands on the wiring diagrams for all the RAC stuff if anyone is interested pm and I'll try and sort you out.T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts