VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 1998 1.9TDI is overheating, the radiator fans don't work. When the engine temp rises, and I turn the engine off, a whirring noise can be heard coming from somewhere, i cant quite pinpoint it. I dont think it is coming from the fans though. The fans themselves are in no way turning or drawing air. When the temp returns to normal the whirring noise stops. (When I pull the fuse in the cabin the noise also stops so its not that fuse). I've checked the two big 50 amp fuses next to the battery and they are fine. Has anyone come across this noise before? Any suggestions without taking it to a garage?

Many thanks
Ben

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
There is an over-run electric pump on some that carries on circulating the hot water round the radiator only when the ignition is turned off this is separate to the fans

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks, that would make a lot of sense. the search for the source of the problem begins then!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
check the temp switch on the rad which send the signal to rad fans take out and sometimes corrossion stop it sensing and next i would check the rad fan fuse on my van it bolted on the van by passenger headlamp on the bonnet lock part

1 - 4 of 4 Posts