VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of testing my radiator fans on my 1996 1.9d?

The van over heated on Monday saturday in traffic. I've changed the thermo stat but it still got very hot without the fans cutting in. I'm collecting a temperature sensor tomorrow but didnt know if there was a test i could do on the fans?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
First , check the fuses for continuity , using a meter (its VERY difficult sometimes to know if they blow) , Then , a length of wire , with an in-line fuse , battery live to individual fan live ....fan should work , unless fan motor is fubared ..!

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It is not unusual for the fans to seize up and blow the main fuses. Check fuses and lube up fans.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It is not unusual for the fans to seize up and blow the main fuses. Check fuses and lube up fans.
I second this comment. My low speed fan would never run and constantly blew fuses. Took 9 months for me to realise it was seized solid! When i removed it the bearing just disintegrated!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice,

fitted the coolant sensor today then started to look at the fans. The fan motors weren't seized i could spin them with my hand, couldn't get anything out of them when i unplugged each one and connected a wire to the battery live unless i didn't do it right? Checked the fuses under the dash and changed fuse 19 for the fan didn't no there's fuses under the bonet so will check them tomorrow.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Flip the cover of the little black box containing the main blade fuses . Take your length of fused wire , Hold on battery live , touch the other end to feed side of fuse if fan works , blade fuse is OK . if not , touch to direct feed to fan . If fan works , 50A . blade fuse is blown .. Theres no need to unplug anything at this stage , If fans work on feed side , it could be the replacement sensor is the issue . If they only work on direct feed , blade fuses are £2.50-ish , at your local motor store , for a pack .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gray'n Grumpy,

ok the strip fuses had blown, so I have replaced them, then a length of wire from the battery live straight to the fans, one side
nothing, second fan sparked when I touched the middle of it.

Any other advice please?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Ok , You only have to contact the fused wire I suggested to the contacts in the fuse box with the 50a. blade fuses . Touch it to the nut on a direct feed to the fan , (radiator side connections), and the fan should run . What do you mean by ...second fan sparked when you touched the middle of it ?? You only need to touch this wire in the 50a. blade fuse box ..??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts