VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Absolute star!! Test light, lights up with ignition and when I flick the switch. I'll fit the radio and test the functionality properly in the morning.

Which cable do I add the leisure battery cable to?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Disconnect the Drive/Camping Looms Yellow Cable MALE BULLET from the current fitting and connect that to the FEMALE BULLET on the battery extension cable and you wiill be sorted T:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi Hoovie, if you still have them, I think I’m going to need a T5/T5.1 GP installation set. I have a 2014 T5.1, fitted with a Kenwood DNX525DAB aftermarket head unit. I would like to connect it to the leisure battery which is fitted under the drivers seat. May be a distance of 2 metres, but 3 to be safe I reckon. Can you send me your PayPal details please.
As a small aside, do you have any ideas as to where the radio picks up the neutral from. I have a Victron BMV-702 battery monitor and all the neutrals have to go through the shunt for it to measure the leisure battery voltage properly.

·
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Hi Hoovie, if you still have them, I think I’m going to need a T5/T5.1 GP installation set. I have a 2014 T5.1, fitted with a Kenwood DNX525DAB aftermarket head unit. I would like to connect it to the leisure battery which is fitted under the drivers seat. May be a distance of 2 metres, but 3 to be safe I reckon. Can you send me your PayPal details please.
As a small aside, do you have any ideas as to where the radio picks up the neutral from. I have a Victron BMV-702 battery monitor and all the neutrals have to go through the shunt for it to measure the leisure battery voltage properly.
Hi,
Yes still have the kits T: I don't have the adapted dash mount for the T5.1 though currently, so you would need to adapt your own (20mm drill bit required).
PayPal is [email protected] :)

Ref monitor and neutral/earth ... The BMV-702 will pick up the power used by the radio as soon as you reroute the +12V power from Starter to Leisure battery as the load side of the BMV Shunt will have a common ground point with the starter battery through the chassis (assuming you have connected the shunt load to the chassis? It would be unusual not to).
It will not pick up the power used from the starter battery for the radio ignition feed but TBH that power use on that input is tiny - all the power is from the permanent +12V which is the one you would be rerouting.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi,
Yes still have the kits T: I don't have the adapted dash mount for the T5.1 though currently, so you would need to adapt your own (20mm drill bit required).
PayPal is [email protected] :)

Ref monitor and neutral/earth ... The BMV-702 will pick up the power used by the radio as soon as you reroute the +12V power from Starter to Leisure battery as the load side of the BMV Shunt will have a common ground point with the starter battery through the chassis (assuming you have connected the shunt load to the chassis? It would be unusual not to).
It will not pick up the power used from the starter battery for the radio ignition feed but TBH that power use on that input is tiny - all the power is from the permanent +12V which is the one you would be rerouting.

Thanks Hoovie, The money will be on its way soon. Do you need my address or will PayPal drop it to you?

Cheers

Bradders

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi Hoovie,

I've PM'd you but I don't know whether it went ok, so I thought I'd back up here.
Received the wiring loom etc yesterday thanks only there weren't any instructions enclosed and I was wondering if you can email some over to me please.

Thanks bud

Simon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

Looking to do this very thing on a 63 plate T5.1 Kombi with the Kenwwod head-unit.

a) Will this do what i want of giving me a switch to leisure power for audio?
b) Avoid any Canbus Issues?
c) Is it still available?

·
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Hi,

Looking to do this very thing on a 63 plate T5.1 Kombi with the Kenwwod head-unit.

a) Will this do what i want of giving me a switch to leisure power for audio?
b) Avoid any Canbus Issues?
c) Is it still available?
Hi,
If your Kenwood is the VW-Supplied Unit then I think it won't work (see b) but if it is an Aftermarker Kenwood unit you have fitted, then it should work with the kit.

a) It makes it very simple to add in a Leisure Battery Feed for 12V. You just need to run that cable (I can supply a ready-made cable with connectors pre-fitted and fuses)
b) If it is a Canbus-Controlled Head Unit then the kit is not suitable. (It is good for Aftermarket Radios and also for the Chinese Look-alikes that give the appearance of VW Radios but actually have a separate Ignition-On Input into the radio
c) It is available but on a slightly extended lead as I sent out the last one yesterday (I'll be making a fresh batch in the next few days)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Hey Hooive,

I've yet to install mine (Hilo going in next week A:) can you tell me what size/amp cable I need to run for the "Leisure Battery Feed for 12V"?

I

·
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Hey Hooive,

I've yet to install mine (Hilo going in next week A:) can you tell me what size/amp cable I need to run for the "Leisure Battery Feed for 12V"?

I
I use 1.5mm cable which will be good for standard power headsets. Should be fine for you I think as you are going to run the pre-amp outputs on the head unit IIRC?

·
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I have a new batch of these ready to go out.

I've also made a tweak to the loom and the cable length to the switch is now around twice the length which will make it easier to tuck out the way. Despite the extra cable now used, the kits are still the same price as before T:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi,

PM sent with link to instructions download T:
Hi Hoovie,
I’ve had you kit installed for some time now and it works great, however I will be taking out the Kenwood and putting the original back in. I take it that the kit won’t work with this? If not, is there anything I can do to make it work? VCDS tinkering maybe?
Thanks
Simon

161 - 180 of 180 Posts