VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I hard wired in a dash cam at the weekend but now my radio reception is really poor it does get a signal but loses it alot, radio 2 seems to be the only station that's sort of stable.

Does anyone know of anything i can buy to shield it?

Ive ran the cables from the rear view mirror across the top of the headlining down the drivers side pillar the back of the dash that way, its not near the radio at all.

ThanksT:

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Hi guys,

I hard wired in a dash cam at the weekend but now my radio reception is really poor it does get a signal but loses it alot, radio 2 seems to be the only station that's sort of stable.

Does anyone know of anything i can buy to shield it?

Ive ran the cables from the rear view mirror across the top of the headlining down the drivers side pillar the back of the dash that way, its not near the radio at all.

ThanksT:
This is really common now...a lot of the time it's the LED on the socket that causes the interference, not the LED it self but the driver to it......

Usb chargers, LED lighting, some roof screens cause the issues you are having....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, yeah i have read about that, some guy had interference from some LED headlights he had.

My cams hard wired in though ive soldered it in permanently there's no led lighting or driver to light it on the camera? not that i know of anyway.. have you ever heard of anything to shield it?

ThanksT:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have a friend who had major problems with his neighbour.
They had LED lights installed throughout the downstairs, problem was, as soon as they turned them on, it killed the reception of next door's DAB radio. Had a big argument, don't know how or if it was resolved. They thought it was the transformers in the ceiling.

I have a dash cam in my van and it is one that attaches to the mirror and it seems OK but I had one in the car that killed the radio reception, and its just an FM radio, not DAB. I sent the dash cam back to Amazon, got a different one and it was OK. But the first one was USB voltage an the second was 12volt right into the camera, but I have a USB voltage one in the van and that is OK.

I also have 4 x LED bulbs in my hall at home and they don't seem to interfere with anything, I have heard that LED lights at home can kill your FREEVIEW reception.

Shame, because I really though LEDs were the answer to low energy bulbs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let anyone who cares or is searching the same thing know, the ferrite cores didn't do anything I bought a pack of 5 put one near the cam then tried it near the other end then I used all 5 all over and still nothing, really like this cam as well and I feel like I need one now I've got one so don't really want to change it but might have to.:(

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have got this one in the Honda Jazz http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FPG002M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage It is 12 volt all teh way to the camera, no transforming down to USB voltage and does not interfere with the radio.

I have this one in the T4 , it is USB voltage but doesn't seem to interfere with the radio.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FPFZY7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This was the one that killed the radio reception in the Honda Jazz that I sent back to Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FKTQ3NE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
If I plug my tom tom sat nav in lighter socket via USB adaptor, that interferes with radio signal.
If I plug it into leasuire battery in rear of van and use an extension lead and adaptor all is well. The only difference is how far away the adaptor is.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
Is it 12V or 5v (USB) powered? If the latter then just buying a generic USB power supply off Ebay to swap out the existing one is quite likely to fix it. As has been said here before, USB power supplies can sometimes be very electrically noisy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a similar problem with a flip down dvd: radio gets terrible after its turned on. Tried ferrite blocks near dvd unit on both live and neg but it still interferes.. Confused.com!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow! I had no idea this was such a problem. My radio reception has been poor for a while and I put it down to an aerial connection that had come loose. My reversing camera (with LED light in the plug socket) broke a few months ago and in hindsight, the radio reception has been fine since I removed it. I never made the association.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
It is the cheap LED driver that causes the problems, this is coming more common place, and a massive problem for homes which uses LED lighting

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Some of the parts that come from China etc are appalling
Take the iPhone chargers for example
If you take the covers off some of these things they look home made

·
Registered
71 Posts
Might be talking rubbish here, but have you got one of these fitted - amplified booster. Not sure if it would help or not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-137-V...akra-Din-Aerial-Antenna-Adaptor-/201174120811

Not recommending the above by the way, just an example one. I've just fitted new stereo and it's gone one of these in the box - haven't fitted it yet as I had no idea what it is (or how it was fitted - no instructions with it) but, principally think it's a reception booster - might help.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive got the standard VW stereo fitted at the minute and im sure that they have a booster or something built in, im sure that thing isn't really a booster it just gives an aftermarket stereo what the VW standard one had, ive use them before in other vags.

it should just plug in where the ariel lead goes and the blue wire goes to the blue thin wire coming off the stereo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I plug my tom tom sat nav in lighter socket via USB adaptor, that interferes with radio signal.
If I plug it into leasuire battery in rear of van and use an extension lead and adaptor all is well. The only difference is how far away the adaptor is.
You have used different power sources which has stopped the interference (tomtom on leisure battery Stereo on van battery).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts