VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know what the thing is under my van its a lwb t5 05 plate .
its like a small engine type thing under the van about half way it has an small exhaust pipe coming off it and it runs when i switch the van off for about 1 minute confused.com:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Is it under the driver or just behind, sounds like a diesel heater to me. Do you have an lcd display near your rear view mirror??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's under the passenger about middle of sliding door no LCD display but my cab light don't work in front no power going to it?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Is it enclosed under there in a metal/plastic box with vents on the side, that's how mine is. Not sure if all t5's have the case, if it's exposed snap a picture and someone on here will tell you,

Is the van fairly high spec?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a shuttle 05 lwb 2,5 tdi will take a pic yes it has vent under it there are pics of van in my profile thanks Mark.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds like its permanently switched on if it runs on each and every time. There should be a control panel inside the van somewhere.
Also do you know its a stand alone heater? Sounds like you're not sure.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Sounds like its permanently switched on if it runs on each and every time. There should be a control panel inside the van somewhere.
Also do you know its a stand alone heater? Sounds like you're not sure.
Its a water preheater bud, not a standalone heater hence no control panel (late T4 Caravelles had them too on the n/s inner front wheel arch). As said before it helps the engine to warm up quicker, my old 1.9tdi shuttle had one the short time i owned it with no controls T:T:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tis your webasto heater. If you check your driver's door down the bit where the lock mechanism is you should see a little sticker that says Webasto.

That's wot it is I reckon, specially spying that little exhaust pipe. Helps the engine warm-up quicker and assists with van heating too...
Yep it has a sticker on door near lock saying webasto top man cheers.T:

·
Registered
938 Posts
No worries.

As far as I'm aware the thermo top is/was fitted to shuttles, velles, etc.

If you have one sticker and it says 'thermo-top' then its an automatic additional heater with no controls. ie it just works when bus is on and just runs-on a bit when engine off.

If you have an additional sticker that says 'air top', then you have the additional parking heater. But then you'd know that cos you will have additional buttons inside the cab.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries.

As far as I'm aware the thermo top is/was fitted to shuttles, velles, etc.

If you have one sticker and it says 'thermo-top' then its an automatic additional heater with no controls. ie it just works when bus is on and just runs-on a bit when engine off.

If you have an additional sticker that says 'air top', then you have the additional parking heater. But then you'd know that cos you will have additional buttons inside the cab.
Yep it says thermo top c what would I do without you guys cheers mate :)

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Late incommer! if it's a Thermo Top C (TTC) and it's VW fitted it could be either a auxillary engine pre-heater or a supplementary cab heater. Each one is set uo to run completely differently and do a specific job. For instance: my van has TTC which supplies hot water to a heat exchanger & fan unit fitted in the rear wind, this blows air the front 2nd row seating area via the "C"(?) pillar. It will only operate with the engine running. If it's the same you'll have a second pair of vent control knobs in the centre console under the main vent knobs (not sure on fully air conditioned vans tho'!).

The alternative is the engine pre-heater which does as it says + pre-heats the cab, this is usually via a time controller or key fob. I suspect it's the first as I would've expected the previous owner to be aware of and explained the use key fob as a selling point!!!!

There's a 3rd option of an air blower unit located under the drivers seat this blows hot air in the 2nd row seating area.
But, if it's a TTC it'll beof similar arrangement to mine.

all the best for the new year, i'm off to Boot (Eskdale) for the new year testing my heater!

Andy:jmpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's a diesel heater to keep the engine at full temp. No driver controls for it just engine temp sensor via engine ECU. Not a very common extra on vans but lots of Sharan/galaxy/alambra people carriers had them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts