VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raph - My lovely green Van

Right, I feel its about time to create my own build thread.. But it is also of the trip & journey..

I've made an intro thread but I don't feel it will grow right so am re-doing it in the correct section of the forum.

Raph Raphael is my 1.9TD T4.. I really care about the word 'MY too as it is my first "car". I previously shared a Ford KA with my Mum - stylish ayy :p?

I am 20 and lack knowledge of nearly everything mechanical but will do my best to learn and do - along side spending money getting a lot of things done professionally. If its done I want it done right.. If that means an hour task takes 10 or if it means I save my money for a week or two and take it to a professional it'll be done right!

This is Raph when I put my deposit down.. A home painted Blue van..

This is Raph now.. On the Right.. In St Ives

Everything inbetween these two photos you will have to read for :) I will edit this post to update the photo if anything major changes but most things will be the interior now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
0000-0260 Miles
At VWVanFreaks​

Found a van that suites my needs, colour looked alright on the pictures on the website I found it through time for a viewing :db

It was the evening when I finally got around to the viewing. Went along with Danni (My Girlfriend) for her input on the look of the Van and my Dad for his .. 'Wisdom' as they do say it comes with age, so he must have plenty.

Couldn't resist it, seemed a good runner.. So put down my deposit the same night! .. Let the adventure begin!

Within the price they do some work to the van including;
-Cam belt & Water pump being replaced
-Vel trim & Carpet the van (+insulate)
-Install LED lighting with a switch, connected to main battery
-MOT, Tax it etc and fix any advisory issues which got me a newer tyre
-Fix the lock as it wasn't secure
-Couple of little odd jobs I requested

When they went to wash the van it was apparent the previous owner hadn't used the correct paint as the jet wash was destroying it.. Apperently house hold paint had been used I was offered a good price on a paint job or a full cash refund of my deposit etc.. But at this stage was already hooked so let the paint commence!

After a few days I had chosen the brightest green I could find on the RAL chart..
[/I]http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1690/1lik.png[/img]
But upon professional advice was told the colour wouldn't work very well so opted for Kawasaki Green.. A beautiful colour ;).

So the work began.. It was sanded, prepped and eventually ready to be sprayed!

Sprayed.. Cut out lots of photos as they weren't the best quality

Four weeks later..
Still a few little bits incomplete but I want to take my van out for a spin!!
So off we went down to London to see the Gadget Show Live 2013 - amazing time despite being kicked off the campsite (Caravan Club site south of London.. got kicked off as we were using an air bed instead of a R&R..)
Not really any exciting photos as I was worrying about not crashing my newly painted Van than anything.

Got back and dropped it back at Van Freaks for the last few things..

This is written a few weeks afterwards but I want to track all my progress from start->current.. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
0260-1010 Miles
Worcester to St Ives (November 2013)​

Got the van, still needs the fuel gauge mending but apart from that its done! Can finally park it up at home and call it mine, all paid for and working.

Time to rack up some silly miles in a quick weekend away to show Danni what I spent all this money on.. So off to St Ives we went at 7pm on a Friday night.

We arrived at 01:25am, after going down some one way streets the wrong way and finding the narrowest roads in St Ives as my phone decided to confuse us on the last few turnings after getting us 98% of the way there.

Our 5* setup :)

The view from the window when we woke up

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rasp:T:

Not bad for November

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1010 Miles
My rough ideas and plans​

-Leisure Battery
-240v hookup
-12v Coolbox
-Passenger door pocket with removable inner (almost like a bin)
-Upgrade speakers in dash
-Get radio fitted (got a fancy Bluetooth one)
-Awning (research and buy one)

These are in no particular order but are my priorities unless something goes wrong on the van.

I am not planning to get a R&R bed or any units in the next year..

Any advice or tips would be great..
I am not doing any of the electrics unless there is a extremely in depth guide made for idiots, as I don't want it done wrong..

·
Registered
805 Posts
hook up is a cheap mod, do that first, leisure battery will cost a wee bit depending on where you put it, the 110 amp cable is about £3 a metre i think and a decent battery £80 -£90 then your fuse box, led lights ect, good luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hook up is a cheap mod, do that first, leisure battery will cost a wee bit depending on where you put it, the 110 amp cable is about £3 a metre i think and a decent battery £80 -£90 then your fuse box, led lights ect, good luck
When you say cheap if it was done professionally what sort of price do you think a reasonable quote would be?
Or is it really simple DIY?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, the van looks great I like your choice of colour T: No bed or cabinets going in mine either as I want to get motorbikes in it as well as using it as a tin tent. a Night heater sounds like a must have by what I've read on here, 240 hook up on my list too, the 12v cool box is a great idea I didn't think of that option T:

·
Registered
805 Posts
When you say cheap if it was done professionally what sort of price do you think a reasonable quote would be?
Or is it really simple DIY?
its a piece of pi$$, plenty help on hereT: lucky if i paid more than £50 for my basic setup, some people just hook up behind a dummy fog light and use and rcd and some sockets, that suited me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, the van looks great I like your choice of colour T: No bed or cabinets going in mine either as I want to get motorbikes in it as well as using it as a tin tent. a Night heater sounds like a must have by what I've read on here, 240 hook up on my list too, the 12v cool box is a great idea I didn't think of that option T:
I use a Oil Heater at the moment so getting my hookup sorted is important to me, some of these night heaters they use on here are so damn expensive.. I'm sure they're brilliant but there's elsewhere id like to spend my money :)

its a piece of pi$$, plenty help on hereT: lucky if i paid more than £50 for my basic setup, some people just hook up behind a dummy fog light and use and rcd and some sockets, that suited me.
Might have to have a dig around.. :) If it's anything under £100 I'm gunna do it this month xD thanks for the help. Was there a guide you used that you could recommend? :p

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use a Oil Heater at the moment so getting my hookup sorted is important to me, some of these night heaters they use on here are so damn expensive.. I'm sure they're brilliant but there's elsewhere id like to spend my money :)

Might have to have a dig around.. :) If it's anything under £100 I'm gunna do it this month xD thanks for the help. Was there a guide you used that you could recommend? :p
i can look back on my ebay history and send you the links, i had some 240v wiring in the house, might have some left, if you pay the postage you can have it for free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've just bought a van which needs windows, vet riming and eventually a respray. How were the guys at van freaks? It's not too far from me and was looking to use them. Are you happy with the work they done?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just bought a van which needs windows, vet riming and eventually a respray. How were the guys at van freaks? It's not too far from me and was looking to use them. Are you happy with the work they done?
There is still an odd job left so couldn't really comment until they've finished the van..

The veltrimm seems alright but have had issues with the paint..

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is still an odd job left so couldn't really comment until they've finished the van..

The veltrimm seems alright but have had issues with the paint..
Hi Elliot.......if you have issues with the paint job we haven't heard anything ??? please give Grant a call we are very particular about our spray work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts