VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
faux patina is ridiculous IMHO totally ridiculous, new (ish) vehicles which have had perfectly good paint rubbed down and left to rust....completely miss the point of rat tbh.

most of the aircooleds seen in this thread are OG paint buses which have had the paint aged by many years of use/sun in the countries where they have been imported from.

something as old as a split, personally i would prefer them to be in their OG paint, at least you dont have 30 or 40 years of someone elses bodges hidden under shiney new paint.

my old 13 window and my 58 single cab where / are both original paint, some would say they are rat, to me they are survivors, still proudly wearing whats left of the paint they left the factory with.

if at any point this turned from patina into structural rot or rust, it would be a no brainer, restore and restore properly.

as for rusting out a perfectly good panel for a "look" plain ridiculous...for one thing without spending a fortune ( money or talent) aging paint properly, it will never look right, patina is not something you can do yourself easily, replicating 30 years under the arizona sun, at best will take a genious with an airbrush and many many hours aging the paint to look right :)

its the same as wheels id rather roll on stock steels than a set of lookalike fake splits :lol:

but hey each to their own, good luck with the fake ratting, if its what you want then go for it :)

cheers
paul :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
^^^^^now those points are very valid and can totally see the point and the reason why T: ^^^^^^

but what i don't get is way people do it on purpose, there was a old splitty at bus freeze and they had put tufts of grass in the front and all that shabang :confused: just looked silly to me :(

first bus in pic on left

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I can't see how something is a work of art if its just being left to rot over the years :confused: I can understand how people think there cool, but surly its not a work of 'art' :(

but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder I:
Art comes in many shapes and forms as I'm sure you'll agree.
If a van/bus is just left to age (or rot if you prefer) then that's just "nature" taking it's course. Many things are beautifully aged. The ravages of time are something that can not be faked and offer a unique story and journey for the object, whether it be a vehicle, building, piece of furntiture or whatever.
A forced "rat" car/van/bus is a different matter but to me they are still works of art just taking a different route to get to the desired result.

I'd take rat over show and shine every day of the week, but that's just me T:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
looks like you been chasing ducks, t4 are good but as yet dont walk on waterLOL:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The rat look is way more interesting than shiny and perfect in my opinion.
I would not 'rat' a T4 with a nice paint job already though.
But also, there's a fine line between ratted and crappy ol' van

·
Registered
49 Posts
The rat look is by no means a new concept, it had been around since the 70's and is big on the biker and hot rod scene. It is more of a rebellion thing than any thing else, it is the middle finger to the idea that all vehicles need to be prestine and shiney, i love it personaly. I can appreciate a well restored or blinged up vehicle as much as the next bloke, but the concept that they all have to be like that to be worthy of credit is absurd and blinkered.Rasp::D

41 - 55 of 55 Posts