VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right for the last couple of days i have had a rattle under my van, sounded like a lose chain underneath. So today i had a good look around under the van and discovered the top or bottom tight wound rear spring had snapped :eek:

I am thinking it must be the top because of how small the coil is (about half the diameter of the centre of the spring) This is what was making the ratteling noise as it was just floating about inside the rear coil itself. I have now removed this broken bit and the rattle has stopped.

So how safe is it to use the van still ? I have gone back out for a drive and so far all seems ok, van is slightly lower to one side but only slightly.

I also now feel because of the broken spring that now is a good time to lower the van. I already have the shorter uprated shocks sitting in a box waiting to be fitted and now i can sort myself out so new lower springs for the rear.

The springs i want are H&R's. I want the heavy duty ones that are -60mm lower. WHERE can i get these from ? I have seen H&R's at -30 and -40 but i cant seem to find anywhere that does -60mm H&R springs. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Si

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
why dont you try t4srus for springs im running their 60mm springs and use my van for work.

it is absolutely fine.

as for running with cracked spring couldnt advise fully without seeing.

but im thinking if it has only dropped slightly.

it must only be a small piece broken of.

take it easy until new springs come.

if you do go for t4srus springs delivery and service is very good i ordered some parts through them yesterday they got delivered here today.T:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you carry much weight in your van ? I have just checked t4srus site and there out of stock :( for now..............
why dont you try t4srus for springs im running their 60mm springs and use my van for work.

it is absolutely fine.

as for running with cracked spring couldnt advise fully without seeing.

but im thinking if it has only dropped slightly.

it must only be a small piece broken of.

take it easy until new springs come.

if you do go for t4srus springs delivery and service is very good i ordered some parts through them yesterday they got delivered here today.T:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to me... I took it in for a service, told them it i could hear a metallic clanking noise when going over bumps, they rang me later to tell me I needed a new spring.

I'm annoyed that I didn't use this as an opportunity to lower it at the time, but there we go...

I think I was driving it for a few weeks without really thinking about it being a problem before I took it for a service. That's not saying its safe, of course, just that it didn't seem to affect me!

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
i had both rears broken for quite some time. At a guess a few years untill at one MOT they noticed that the bottom of both coils were broken and mentioned it.

so if they are the standard springs you should be fine. but it is a good opportunity to fit lowered springs ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the feedback guys T: Think ill order some T4sRus springs and get my van sunk :cool:

Si

1 - 7 of 7 Posts