VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

The recent cold snap has made my rattly engine even noisier. It's a 1998 Multivan with the 102bhp ACV engine. I was told the "cambelt was done about 7 months ago", but have no verification of this. I get a real raspy rattle when the throttle pedal is pushed. I also have a whooshing, hissing sound upon acceleration which implies something's up with the turbo?

I've uploaded an mp3 file, if that helps.

I've put it on VAGCOM and the only error I'm getting is:

00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

I've replaced both brake switches and checked the brake lights and they seem fine, but the error still persists.

Any comments or advice welcome...

Dave

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) Oh thats good computer skills, I like that. I'll watch this one with intrest as mine sounds exactly the same.
2.5 888 special, 2002, cambelt, water pump, tensioners all changed 10k/12 months ago and set up on vagcom for 'factory clean' running 100k miles.

I think my dual mass flywheel is on the way out and the release bearing is slightly rattley, but I don't 'know' if it is or not.

Hope you get a response soon T:

Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far...will get the 'van warmed up and give it a go and report back...
Well, I tried to run the test, and despite taking it for a run until the temp display was halfway, it said engine wasn't up to temperature! So I might have to wait until the big thaw...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well at least your cooling system's working...

Turn the heater off, if you're trying to warm the engine ... it'll be functioning as a little rad in this weather.

Have you tried draining the fuel filter of any water?

mm

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Which side of the engine is the noise coming from or is it from the head?
If it's from the timing belt side have you checked you bottom pulley because that Chut noise sounds familiar.
I suggest you check the condition of the rubber on the pulley ASAP make sure there is no cracking.
The noise connected to the turbo could be one of your pipes is loose do you have power problems?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
welcome to the 2.5 club:D
the whooshing noise is the air going through the intercooler,if its a sucking sound,check all induction pipes for tight fitting?
if you keep yr foot on brake pedal,does the noise stop?if it does,faulty vac pump.
how long since an oil change?
ive put some hydraulic tappet additive in my oil,if youve a sticking valve,this could help?

·
Registered
30 Posts
As whooshwhoosh said, that ticking sound towards the end of your mp3 file does sound like the vac pump. Apart from that, it also sounds to me like you have a slight misfire, hence my 2ps worth. Good luck and keep us posted. mm

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions T:

Been a nightmare day as the van just died on me earlier today :(

Was half way up a hill during a blizzard when it lost power and the engine cut out, and I was unable to restart it. I don't remember hearing any particular engine sounds when it failed, it just felt as if it was in extreme limp home mode and then lost all power completely.

Had to push the car all the way back home, luckily it was downhill, but couldn't see a thing because of the whiteout!

Will keep you posted when I get a chance to look at things in more details - but it might be a garage job as spare time is in short supply at present.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
God, it's cold out here...

Just ran VAGCOM again and the following new error has appeared:

00550 - Start of Injection Regulation
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

Car won't start - whirring sounds but not firing.

More later...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
God, it's cold out here...

Just ran VAGCOM again and the following new error has appeared:

00550 - Start of Injection Regulation
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

Car won't start - whirring sounds but not firing.

More later...
More than likely your engine temp sender mate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More than likely your engine temp sender mate.
Thanks for the heads up.

Would that just stop it from starting?

I have a theory, and that it is something to do with the extreme weather. Before the cold snap the engine was rattly and down on power, but the sudden weather change magnified it many times over.

When the car was running on Saturday I found that the engine ran smoothly over 2000rpm - I was only getting the 'death rattle' below that, and under load .i.e when just starting off up the hill.

To be continued...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like your pump belt has snapped/Lost its teeth.

Remove the cover and have a look.
Sorry for the delay, finally got the T4 back from the garage last night...

The bill came to just over £400, including recovery. I spoke to the garage owner and he said I was very lucky...

It seems to have required a complete new timing belt kit, with 3 x tensioners, the injection pump belt and the timing belt being the parts listed.

Needless to say, it runs a lot nicer now, although there's still an issue with the turbo. I can hear more transmission whine now the clatter has abated!

Weather's still sub-zero so I'll wait until the thaw before doing any more timing checks via VAGCOM.

Every time I get work done by a garage I always seem to get something else go wrong once they've fixed the original problem - this time full beam is working on one side, and the opposite side for parking lights!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts