VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after having 40mm H & R spring fitted a rattling /knocking / cracking noise started to be noticeable. It seems to be coming from around the area of the sliding door rear catch (it could be lower down). On rough roads it is does not seem to be there at all. It is noticeable only on moderately bumpy roads.
I am not sure if it is suspension related or door related. My T5 is 2 years old with 24000 miles only.
the noise is best described as if you were gently tapping a coin onto a metal surface.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

Try getting under and having a look at the heat shield and plastic under trays. It sounds like a noise I had where the plastic undertray was broken and kept knocking the heatshield. Easy to replicate the noise just by vibrating the trays. You can get all the clips from vw for small change..

If you have had work done then they could have inadvertently knocked something.

Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I have checked all that was suggested and now taken it to VW under warranty (and first service). They are baffled. The under trays have been removed and checked also the door has been fully looked at.
I drove with a mechanic in the back and he agrees that it seems to come from above the rear left suspension mounting point (just below the rear of the sliding door).
It is going back into them next week for further investigation - also they have written a tech report and submitted it to VW for further advice and to see if there is similar history on any other vans.
They suspect it could be a cracked weld (German Engineering lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts