VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Rattling Suspension N/S/F

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  VWmad2012 
#1 ·
Hi folks. My T4 2.4 is being prepped for the season and it's MOT. When I bought the van late last year it had a rattle that I would describe as a 'bracket come loose'. A hollow metallic noise when hitting bumps. My concern lays with the fact the van has been lowered approx 40mm and I'm wondering if the previous owner has overlooked something and could be dangerous!?

Any thoughts on where I should begin?

Regards,
Jim

#2 ·
I had the same issue with my van and for me it was the fact the previous owner did not put any bushes on the shocks so they were just rattling around in the top

I ended up replacing the 2 front shocks (£44)

I would check them 1st, take the wheel off and wiggle the shocks, if they move then you may need new bushes

#4 ·
Fantastic guys, thanks for the prompt replies. The lack of bushes kinda make sense. Like I said, imagine a bracket where the bolts have come loose and is now allowed to rattle around.

Good shout with the ball joints, though I would have expected a 'dull' knocking noise? No harm in checking the lot though.

Regards,
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.