VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First time poster :)

My partner and I just bought a: Volkswagen Transporter 2004 T5 128kw 6 speed manual diesel SWB with about 400k km's on it.

Recently we have been hearing a metallic thudding/rattling noise, it seems to be coming from the drivers side, just about under the foot well.

Two specific moments the noise has occurred (but not limited to) are:
1. When I was slowing down for a red light, clutch pushed all the way in, brakes applied, road was patchy, so bit of shake, there was a rattling noise then (by rattling I mean metallic thudding, not constant rhythm, but very consecutive, thuds less than 1 second apart.

2. when accelerating from a stand still (second or third gear), clutch is not engaged at all, a single thud. Can't remember if there was a bump in the road, but most likely (since I know the road and wouldn't be surprised if there was a bump there).

The noise tends to occur when there is a bit of shaking to the car, happens a bit more when clutch is engaged, although I can't pin point it.

Potential problems:
- Throwout bearing
- Right engine mount (haven't checked)
- Right suspension (don't know how to check)

Other problems that may relate:
- gears are occasionally/rarely hard to put in, especially third gear (grinds).

I recently changed the rear and front engine mount, the rear was in a pretty bad state, hoping this would solve the problem.

Previous two owners kept a pretty extensive book of documents with work done, and I can't see any work being done on the clutch, although with 400k km's I assume it has been replaced?

I'm a beginner home mechanic, so i'm willing to learn, and have jacks and stands that can support the vehicle. Also have the trusty Haynes manual, although i'm thinking that if its something to do with the gearbox/clutch, throwout bearing or synchros (just from research I've done online), then I may be out of my league in fixing it.

Can anyone suggest tests or checks I can do to diagnose the problem? If people are confident they know what the problem might be, a parts plus labour price estimate would be good too :).

I understand that its very hard to diagnose a problem over the internet, if you need any further information, don't hesitate to ask.

And I appreciate your time!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If the "thud" is coming from the air box then it's the camshaft/followers. Take the cover off & remove the air filter - if it gets louder that will confirm it.

The other issues could be clutch/DMF related or possibly the O/S driveshaft - any evidence of recent replacement ?

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response! :)

I'll give it a try and take the filter off and see if it gets louder, i know the AC and blower fan fuse keeps blowing, and the blower fan sounds like it struggles a lot, i was going to check the air filter anyway.

Today I drove it to work, and the thudding was happening when accelerating completely in gear now as well, not constant/rhythmic but very noticeable

How come it will get louder if i take the air filter out, sound travel through those pipes?

Service log book notes this:

15/10/10 - New Camshaft 231800 km's
18/08/10 - New Clutch kit 186700kms
22/06/09 - New Alterator (not sure what that is)

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The engine air filter is under the bonnet on the drivers side.

When the camshaft/followers are on the way out the "pop" - this is the sound you hear near the air filter.
The air filter & box have a silencing effect so if the noise gets louder when they are removed it points to camshaft/followers imminent failure.
A though the camshaft has been replaced it could be failing again, especially if the wrong oil has been used - these engines are very fussy about their oil.

The cabin air filter is over the passenger footwell & accessible from inside the cab.
If the blower fan keeps blowing the fuse then the motor needs attention or replacing. They are possible to repair but if you are intending to keep the van then go for a new one - however, they are north of £200.

The 2.5 engines are great units, however, they do need looking after by people that "know" them - they are out of the scope of otherwise competent general mechanics.

The clutch may have failed again - does it sound different when you put your foot on & off when stationary, in neutral & with the engine running ? My gut feeling is towards the offside driveshaft.

The alternator recharges the battery & powers all the electrics.

I'm sorry that your T5 ownership has started off like this, we will all try to help where we can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts